Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:45 AM   #11

Hey Marcelo: that shot of the Empire State Building at dusk is absolutely fabulous!! I keep going back looking and studying it; and I must say, shots like that make you realize that the megapixel count is meaningless. That shot came from only a 5 meg sensor!!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:36 PM   #12

HEy MAreclo

I forgot how good that pic of the NY skyline was .. its truley superb.. shuld be up on a big print or the front cover of a book/mag on NYC!

Another thing that I notice with the E1's sensor , is that ISO400 files look to my eyes better than the ISO400 files from the E3 with regards to noise.

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 11, 2014 at 5:39 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:51 PM   #13

Having both the E1 and the E500 I will say that the 500 is the noisier of the two. ISO 800 was the limit on the 500 (and that only for when I just had to have the shot) but on the E1 I found 800 very usable and 1600 worked in a pinch. Now that the sun is out again here in the northwest I may just have to put my Tamron 400/4 on the E1 and see how it does.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:36 AM   #14

I still use my E-300 for the reasons mentioned and for me the E-300 feels as 'hand' good as any of my Olympus' ... as I've said so many times, "the camera just feels right".

For me spring and fall nature colors are times for the Kodak sensor Olympus'.

Here are a couple from the E-300 / ZD 14-54 ... 2006, Branson, Missouri weekend

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 18, 2014 at 8:53 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:13 PM   #15

For the love of that old Kodak CCD sensor. Therse were the old E500 results.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:36 PM   #16

Bob .. Greg .. nice to see the pics.. .. may b i'm getting old, sentimental and need the new specs asap ..but I dont get the same look and feel from any of the newer Oly cams.

Here's a few from the ol E1:

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 20, 2014 at 6:42 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:13 PM   #17

Great shots and color. Why in world did Kodak discontinue to make that sensor or at least upgrade it further.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Great shots and color. Why in world did Kodak discontinue to make that sensor or at least upgrade it further.
Kodak was a chemistry company, through and through. They spent years trying to find a substitute for silver as the photosensitive material in film, as silver prices kept rising. When some of their employees found the answer in a completely different technology, the company was unable to make the paradigm shift to compete in a new technology. I find it really sad - they made some of the first digital cameras (my second digital camera was a Kodak) but just didn't get their arms around that market.

All that said, I suspect complete xenophobia on the part of the Japanese camera manufacturers, against using a foreign sensor product, as the true answer to your question. Japan is a pretty closed industrial community and to me it'a a miracle that Panasonic worked with Leica on 4/3 lenses but even that didn't last long. The fact that Japanese auto manufacturers build cars in the US is simply a bottom-line cost issue - otherwise that would never happen.

I'm not being cynical or negative - I read the JapanToday web site almost every day and I'm just stating reality.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:32 PM   #19

CCD had its advantages, but high ISO wasn't one of them. Camera reviews crucified Olympus for this, and I think that may have been part of the shift away from Kodak.

You can still get a new camera with a Kodak sensor.

Got 40k for a Hasselblad???

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Apr 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
CCD had its advantages, but high ISO wasn't one of them. Camera reviews crucified Olympus for this, and I think that may have been part of the shift away from Kodak.
Good point, Greg - I forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
You can still get a new camera with a Kodak sensor.

Got 40k for a Hasselblad???
Damn - just when I was about to buy one they raised the price $5K.

Also, the 120mb size of the RAW file adds a lot of overhead - for example you'd want to be running the CF card reader and any external hard drives on USB3 or you'll be waiting a long time just to dump the card.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote