Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:54 AM   #1

Default Portfolio C & C wanted

Hi Guys and Gals

I'm in the process of finally putting together a portfolio of sorts, so would like your opinions on the new gallery and the pics in there ... Feel free to leave CC's on the images and whats wrong with them. Here's the link to the gallery .. its a WIP so I may change a few things. All pics were re PP'd in LR before being uploaded.

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/Port/Portfolio/

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Woops.. wrong url!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:06 AM   #2

Harj - what is the purpose of the portfolio? Are you intending on using the portfolio to obtain work? What type of work? It's difficult to provide good feedback without knowing what your intended purpose for the portfolio is.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:32 AM   #3

Hi John

At the moment its just to show a selection of work (non fashion), if it helps to obtain some kind of photography work that would be more of a bonus.

The main reason for the port is that I took some pics at a National field hockey championship last week, and my previous accesible galleries were heavily fashion focused. As some of the parents of the kids playing in the teams are going to get access to a gallery with some of their kids playing and possibly buying some of the images, I wanted them to see that I wasn't just someone that had a first attempt at taking some pics with a fast lens + Dslr ..

Not sure if that makes sense or not !??!!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:21 AM   #4

Harj,
The link takes me to a page not found error so I clicked on your gallery link and it took me to a "portfolio" page - not sure if it's the same page you intended or not. That's what generated my question. What I see on that page is a huge array of photographs of all different types of things. Some fine photos.

On the plus side the work is good and the photos are small so load times are not bad. Nothing worse than slow load times on a web site.

But, as a portfolio it doesn't work well in my opinion. Too many photos and no organization to them. It's not a lot different than a printed portfolio - 10-20 photos top should be enough to convey your sales pitch. If people want to see more you can show them whole galleries. I also think that, as a resume, a portfolio should be organized. If you want to sell your portrait services, people don't need to see zoo shots or sports work. If people are going to hire you for sports work, those are the shots they want to see.

Now, I haven't done an online portfolio in years but I think the basic principles still apply - well organized, few clicks and just enough photos from different shoots to show what you're capable of but not too much. Oh, and if you DO want to use it for booking purposes you really need a page that outlines your services and contact information. If you're confident then put your prices right on the web.

That's my .02. Best of luck to you!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:00 PM   #5

John

Thanks for pointing out the broken link .. now fixed.

I thought the mass of images were going to be heavy and possibly too much to look at and I will take your advice and group the images into their own galleries but for now I just wanted to see whether the images that I picked out are strong enough and worthy of being included. If their not then I'd like to pull them out and want to do that now before I start organising a number of smaller galleries.

If there's any images there that shouldn't be then it would be good to know. I'll look at organising later on .. right now I've gotta hit the books for the rest of the day before its gone!

Contact info and the like.. I need to sort something out on that front an pricing, well I haven't got a clue on that so will leave that alone for those pics.

Cheers

HArj
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:54 PM   #6

Hi Hartj,

I did check your protofolio and there are so many really good shots in there.
The one thing I would give as advice is that some pictures have persons or statues on it where there is a top of the head is missing.
For me I prefer when they are completely on it.
But this is something personal, so please don't pull to much on what I say.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:25 PM   #7

Harj: that is a nice collection of very wide range of subject matter. I think they are good examples to organize into galleries. When you get the galleries set up and the photos grouped, it should make for a very eye-catching website. The eclectic style should provide something to appeal to almost anyone.

It took me a while to get used to the new style Smugmug, and I'm still learning it. But now I like it a whole lot better and I like all the drag and drop options. I'm getting more used to it every day and have to now say that it is improved over the old Smugmug. (But the learning curve was a pain because I was so used to the old way of doing things.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:25 PM   #8

I agree with others, very nice and appealing, shows you can photograph most anything.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:49 AM   #9

Hey guys thanks for looking at the gallery..

I've made some changes and its still a WIP but I would like your opinions on whether the organisation is ok or not?

Pascal, if you can point out the pics that look out of place that would be cool.

Cheers

Harj
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:43 AM   #10

Hi Harj,

Nice collection of pictures, I saw you removed some pictures from the original link, I like the colors and different subjects, looks organized but I have the feeling that I would like to see more.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote