Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 2, 2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Default For you SmugMug users

I had emailed them a question and they responded immediately as usual. The helpdesk person (Josh) added his photo at the end and he was made up like a superhero. I thought it was a mask and in fun asked him where I could get one. He replied that everyone at SmugMug, when they are hired, are made up into a Superhero and photographed, and gave me the URL:

http://cmac.smugmug.com/SmugMug/Hero...aces/i-SXCPkNm

It is freakin AWESOME that any company would do this, but you SmugMug users already know that they had to be having a good time working together - it shows up in their outstanding customer service and their business model that gives a free account to any non-profit.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2014, 11:24 AM   #2

Now that is waaaay coool.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 12:27 PM   #3

I think that is seriously cool.. I noticed their new comicbook little avatars a few weeks back, I didn't think it was anything like this. Something as fab and fun like that is what every company big or small should be doing. Instead everyones way too corporate !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 1:01 PM   #4

It's definitely a great company. While their benefit as a business partner is limited, it doesn't detract from how good the people are that work there. Not only that, but they embrace an open-source mentality and encourage people to develop software that can be used with the site. Good people!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 2:35 PM   #5

Although it's definitely the new social media look, I don't particularly like the new look for a site, that they have available and didn't change mine. But I really like them and their outlook on life. Plus, NO ONE has a better or faster helpdesk. No one.
Old May 2, 2014, 3:43 PM   #6

Ted

Agree on the site changes... some of them are quiet a step backwards from the old one.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 3:55 PM   #7

They're consistent with the look and feel of tablets, which was what Micro$oft is trying to do with Windoze 8.

I do understand that there's a whole generation of folks who want to use tablets instead of laptop or desktop computers. They will figure out that many tasks are not amenable to tablets, such as editing images or spreadsheets. The pendulum wils sway back when their eyesight stops them.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:00 PM   #8

It took me a while, but I finally conquered the learning curve. Now I like the new Smugmug much better than the old one.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2014, 11:13 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't particularly like the new look for a site, that they have available and didn't change mine.
Ted.... I'm a bit confused, check this page http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/ , it is mine, it is the original Smugmug style. I started with a copy of "TURBO" (the original Smugmug style) , modified to suite my own pages layout, added code snippets (available on dGrin forum and shared from other users) for rounded corners, shadow, text aided icons, some other pieces...... AND THEN it is the NEW version of the OLD.

This is Greg Chappell's http://tinyurl.com/khy5d9y , original style with no code enhancements, it looks the same as the original for image files review and the link provided is also the original SMg style but on the new system.

The new system works very well and 'is usable' on phones and tablets. I too only like the original style Smugmug layout. It is easy to see the difference, yours to mine for vertical viewing. The old system simply rotates the layout to vertical, everything becomes smaller. The new system (mine) rotates & stacks where actually the vertical is the better display over horizontal.

Too, with the new Smugmug system data management is super easy & fast for uploading, moving & collecting one gallery to another. I often select certain image files which I want to show in an additional gallery, where the old SMg system required making (one-at-a-time) a copy then moving the copied files to the 'other' gallery. In the new system it is a matter of tagging files, dragging to the other gallery and selecting in the pop-up either 'move or collect' where collect makes copies and moves the copies; very fast!

There are many enhancements to the good, it will take a bit to learn the new system but it is so worth the effort. I do not participate in the dGrin forums but for getting started and for the shared code-snippets I followed along in dGrin, it worked well for me.

As for the Smugmug team, mostly family members, the vast IT experience shows in the system we use for sites AND the systems available for data storage/recovery and customer attention shows in the way you've mentioned.

They appear have lots of fun, they have the experience/talent to make things happen. It is plain to see the passion for excellence in systems and the making of the best of the best for photography web site presentation.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote