Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 4, 2014, 3:18 PM   #1

Default Learned a good lesson today

Yesterday, a P51 from the 322nd Fighter Group flew in to a local airport and two of the original pilots from the Tuskegee Airmen were there. The pilot I had a picture taken with was 93 and appeared in better shape than me. The plane was beautifully restored and I was ready to shoot. Camera on, no display. Battery indicator says dead battery. No problem, I have three more. Batteries two and three dead but thankfully battery four had plenty of juice. What puzzles me is that all of these batteries were fully charged about six months ago. I'm guessing now that they slowly discharge after a long term of no use. Wanted to get some underbelly shots using the tilt viewfinder with live view......you think I remembered how to use live view. No siree. I did manage to get some decent shots even though the plane was in the dark hangar due to crappy weather but later was pulled out, checked out, and flew back to its Texas base. I looked for Steve to see if I could borrow his 50-200mm bird lens for those take off shots but no Steve in sight, darn it.

Lessons learned:
Make sure you charge batteries the night before...even if they were charged months ago.
Learn how to use live view and other features you may want to use at the event.
Do not let the camera intimidate you.
Pictures coming later, too busy today.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:00 PM   #2

G'day James

Lovely story + lots of beaut thoughts

I am pleased to see that you are 'normal' same as me ... coz there's too many times when I also get up 'n go places with a grab of my stuff, only to find similar issues - or worse- once I get to the other end

I also have found to my horror that my [Fuji] camera's battery display can go from 2-bars of battery to zero red-flashing-DED in less than 10 exposures - so I have had to come up with another plan-of-action there as well

Keep smilin'
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014, 6:23 PM   #3

Well Phil it is some relief to me to know I'm not alone. The good of the story is that I got some decent but not spectacular shots running on empty.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Well Phil it is some relief to me to know I'm not alone. The good of the story is that I got some decent but not spectacular shots running on empty.
You're not alone - I think a lot of folks learned that lesson. The worst camera for that is my Fuji E550 - its AA cells are dead in a month whether you use the camera or not.

The good news is that modern batteries do deliver more power than the AA batteries my E20 uses and eats for breakfast. Speaking of charging batteries, I have three camera battery chargers. The Oly BCM2 and the Panny charger for the L1, show a red light when the battery is charging, like every charger in this arm of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Except for the relatively new white BCM5 charger for the E5's white batteries. That charger shows a green light when the battery is charging and no light when the charging is finished. Why?????

Edit: Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 5, 2014 at 6:18 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 9:43 AM   #5

Welcome to the club James, we probably all have our battery sad tales. A few years ago, I went to an airshow where the last performance of the day was the Blue Angels, my favorite air team. It was a good airshow, perfect weather, and I had been snapping away all afternoon. Well, my battery died just as the Blue Angels were starting their show. Reached in to change batteries, and, you guessed it, I had forgotten to bring the spare battery. Guess who missed getting any Blue Angel photos that day??

Now I make sure to carry at least 2 spare batteries with me. Usually I will charge them the night before, as unused batteries do lose their power while sitting unused over time.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 9:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Welcome to the club James, we probably all have our battery sad tales. A few years ago, I went to an airshow where the last performance of the day was the Blue Angels, my favorite air team. It was a good airshow, perfect weather, and I had been snapping away all afternoon. Well, my battery died just as the Blue Angels were starting their show. Reached in to change batteries, and, you guessed it, I had forgotten to bring the spare battery. Guess who missed getting any Blue Angel photos that day??

Now I make sure to carry at least 2 spare batteries with me. Usually I will charge them the night before, as unused batteries do lose their power while sitting unused over time.
It's a good thing I had four batteries with me and at least one of them had enough juice to shoot a few shots.