Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:54 PM   #1

Default A RoadRunner for Fred S

We know that Fred is a car enthusiast from the icon of his blue Road Runner, and a car show enthusiast from his car show photos. I don't pretend to be a car show photographer, but I briefly visited a car show recently and saw a rare RoadRunner. I thought of Fred and took a few shots of the car. Here you go Fred:

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:40 PM   #2

Nice pictures Steven, just a shame of that ugly spoiler on the back of the car.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
Nice pictures Steven, just a shame of that ugly spoiler on the back of the car.
Thanks, Lordje.
That spoiler is the way it came from the factory. The specially designed spoiler came on every single model of that limited production car. This was the "Suoer Bird" which was a low volume special edition of the regular Road Runner. The highly streamlined nose and the high rear spoiler were designed by the factory to give it an aerodynamic edge in racing.

The car was just produced to meet the minimum sales figures so it could be raced as a production car in the NASCAR stock car automobile races, which are still the number one spectator sport over here in the states. Chrysler wanted the spoiler as a permanent part of the car to provide added rear stability at the high speed super speedways where the car could easily top 200 mph.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Thanks, Lordje.
That spoiler is the way it came from the factory. The specially designed spoiler came on every single model of that limited production car. This was the "Suoer Bird" which was a low volume special edition of the regular Road Runner. The highly streamlined nose and the high rear spoiler were designed by the factory to give it an aerodynamic edge in racing.

The car was just produced to meet the minimum sales figures so it could be raced as a production car in the NASCAR stock car automobile races, which are still the number one spectator sport over here in the states. Chrysler wanted the spoiler as a permanent part of the car to provide added rear stability at the high speed super speedways where the car could easily top 200 mph.
Very nice pictures Steven,

I had the same thoughts of Lordje about the spoiler but thank you for the info about this rare car.

Have a great weekend.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Very nice pictures Steven,

I had the same thoughts of Lordje about the spoiler but thank you for the info about this rare car.

Have a great weekend.

Marcelo
This was a time in the US auto industry and consumers, where the term "excessive" did not exist. It's gotten a lot better now, for example with a refined Corvette that competes well with far more expensive sports cars.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:35 AM   #6

Nice shots. They should have followed the age old American tradition and chromed the spoiler
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:46 AM   #7

Great shot Steven
thank you for posting
A Super Bird !
The super bird ruled NASCAR in the early 70's

Can you imagine walking into a dealer in 1970 and buying one just like this
for $ 4298.00

Last edited by FredS; Jun 7, 2014 at 7:49 AM.
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
The super bird ruled NASCAR in the early 70's

Can you imagine walking into a dealer in 1970 and buying one just like this
for $ 4298.00
Well, that would be $26,261 today. Other than the big engine, $26K buys you a far better automobile today (e.g. a Honda Accord). When was the last time you needed to tune up an engine, or do anything to it other than change spark plugs and maybe a timing belt? When was the last time your car wouldn't start because it was too hot or too cold outside?

A few years ago the tech editor of Car & Driver did a thorough analysis of what you get for your money today versus several past years (1970 and 1980 IIRC). When he deducted the improvements (such as ABS), a comparable car today is a little less expensive than in the past, adjusted for cost of living and salaries.

Just sayin'.

PS: My first car was a '67 Firebird so I do understand nostalgia. But I'm not sure that car would beat my Volvo turbo on a road course with, um, left and right sharp curves in it. The drum brakes would go out before the end of the race.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Well, that would be $26,261 today. Other than the big engine, $26K buys you a far better automobile today (e.g. a Honda Accord). When was the last time you needed to tune up an engine, or do anything to it other than change spark plugs and maybe a timing belt? When was the last time your car wouldn't start because it was too hot or too cold outside?

A few years ago the tech editor of Car & Driver did a thorough analysis of what you get for your money today versus several past years (1970 and 1980 IIRC). When he deducted the improvements (such as ABS), a comparable car today is a little less expensive than in the past, adjusted for cost of living and salaries.

Just sayin'.

PS: My first car was a '67 Firebird so I do understand nostalgia. But I'm not sure that car would beat my Volvo turbo on a road course with, um, left and right sharp curves in it. The drum brakes would go out before the end of the race.
Ted this is a different car then a Honda
Go buy your 26K Honda and keep in in excellent condition for 30 years
your 26K Honda will be worth 26 cents in 30 to 40 years

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ction/3349815/
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Ted this is a different car then a Honda
Go buy your 26K Honda and keep in in excellent condition for 30 years
your 26K Honda will be worth 26 cents in 30 to 40 years

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ction/3349815/
Yep, I agree with you Fred. And I'm not planning on selling my 2001 TransAm. And with 4 wheel disc brakes, an excellent suspension system, and a Corvette LS-1 engine, I don't worry about either a Volvo turbo or a Honda Accord! LOL