Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:24 PM   #1

Default Problem with RC Shooting on E-3

I have the RM-1 and have now just tried using it. I have the RC mode enabled in the camera, self timer set for 2 seconds but cannot take a picture with the RM-1 button. The battery in the RM-1 is installed correctly. This cannot be that difficult to do and the E-3 manual isn't all that clear on this other than telling you you have to be in the self timer mode. At least that's what it seemed to say. In the camera RC menu I have the channel selector set to Auto. Hopefully someone that uses the RM-1 can steer me straight. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I have the RM-1 and have now just tried using it. I have the RC mode enabled in the camera, self timer set for 2 seconds but cannot take a picture with the RM-1 button. ................
I have never used the remote on my E-3 James, but in reading, be sure that you are choosing the Remote or Remote Delay if needed, and not the Self-timer delay. When you hold the E-3 top mode button down, be sure to only turn the front control wheel and cycle thru the symbols until you get symbol for the remote control of either 0s or 2s. The remote symbol is like a little small rectangle, and not the partial circle that is the self timer symbol. Hopes this solves it.

Last edited by Steven R; Jun 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:40 PM   #3

G'day James

Remember also that [for most cameras] if the camera can't focus it won't shoot either

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I have never used the remote on my E-3 James, but in reading, be sure that you are choosing the Remote or Remote Delay if needed, and not the Self-timer delay. When you hold the E-3 top mode button down, be sure to only turn the front control wheel and cycle thru the symbols until you get symbol for the remote control of either 0s or 2s. The remote symbol is like a little small rectangle, and not the partial circle that is the self timer symbol. Hopes this solves it.
Thanks Steve, I had it set on the circle with 2s on it. I do see something rectangular and what appears to be a small lightning bolt above it. I will try this out and see what happens.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day James

Remember also that [for most cameras] if the camera can't focus it won't shoot either

Phil
Thanks Ozzie but the camera doesn't even attempt to focus. I will try Steve's suggestion.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:56 PM   #6

Well I tried that suggestion out Steve and it still does not work. I think I better check the battery just to be sure it hasn't drained. After all I did but it used on eBay and it may have sat around a while. What about this channel selection in the RC mode, where do you suggest I set that? It is set for auto now.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Thanks Steve, I had it set on the circle with 2s on it. I do see something rectangular and what appears to be a small lightning bolt above it. I will try this out and see what happens.
Yes, that is the one. The circle with the 2s was for the self timer. The small rectangle is what you want.

I don't know why it is not working, and I don't know where my remote is. I'll go thru some of my photo boxes this week and see if I can find mine and see if it works.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:55 AM   #8

No, to use the RM-1 or other infrared remote with the camera you NEED TO ENABLE infrared remote mode.

Press the Mode button and select one of the two infrared remote modes (a rectangle that looks like a remote with either 2 second or 0 second)...these are between the single shot mode (rectangle) and the 2 second timer (the one with the round clock).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:54 PM   #9

Hey Mike

Good to see posting .. hope your keeping well ! You still shooting with Oly kit or did you move onto something new ?

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
No, to use the RM-1 or other infrared remote with the camera you NEED TO ENABLE infrared remote mode.

Press the Mode button and select one of the two infrared remote modes (a rectangle that looks like a remote with either 2 second or 0 second)...these are between the single shot mode (rectangle) and the 2 second timer (the one with the round clock).
Thanks Mike but I have tried that. I'm going to check the battery just to make sure its good.