Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2004, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Anyone had problems using a 1gb Microdrive in an E1?

Despite diligent searching of these forums, I can't find anyone with this problem, so here goes...
I have a brand new E1 and a brand new 1gb microdrive [IBM branded]. Despite formatting and reformatting the dratted thing, I keep getting "Card Error" messages when switching the camera on, and obviously evrything locks up. Repeated switching on and off sometimes gets round the problem, but I hesitate to call that a reliable way of working!
Camera works splendidly with CF cards of all sizes.
Anyone think it's a drive problem [no trauma to the drive unit that I know of] or might it be a camera fault? [Hope not: main distributers now out of stock....]
Regards
Bill
Bill Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2004, 3:06 AM   #2
Administrator

We had no problems using our IBM 1GB Microdrive in the E1 during our review testing. I'd suspect the Microdrive.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 6:59 AM   #3
NHL

Is the E1's battery fully charged?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 5:33 PM   #4

Bill, since CF seems to work fine in your E1, perhaps a 1G Sandisk Ultra II CF might be a solution.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 1:02 AM   #5

Now why didn't I think of that?

Bill

:P
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 1:05 AM   #6

I've come to that conclusion too. Why do I always lose receipts for things that go wrong, and have files full of receipts for things that work perfectly?

BTW-I think the E1 is a great camera, now I've had it in use for a few months. The accessories are expensive though: just blazed through the payment for my last photo commission in buying a flash and grip.

Bill
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 12:16 PM   #7

Hi Bill,

If you search on this string (no quotes) on Ebay you will find Sandisk Ultra II for $249 Buy It Now.

"sandisk ultra II 1"

Good luck!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 1:57 PM   #8

I wish I could remember where I read this so I could look up the specifics, but I know I came across an article about troublesome microdrives in the E-20. If I find it, I'll post the info.

Edit: Nevermind. I found it, and it was actually referring to the E-10, saying the problem was alleviated in the E-20, which means it really ought to be no problem at all in the E-1.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:50 PM   #9

I have had my E-1 camera for about 2 years and have had no problems until recently. I purchased two CF cards and the first card worked like a charm (had been using a 2GB MD since then with no problems). Filled the card with shots and attempted to replace it with the second card. Received a card error and attempted to format the card which failed with another card error notice. Attempted to see if the first CF card was still readable and received another card error. I did not format this card. Now, I'm really frustrated. I inserted the MD card, card error reported, formated the card and was able to take pictures. However, I could not preview any pictures and any attempt would yield a card error. Reformatted the MD card again, took some shots and allowed the camera to go to the sleep mode. When reactivated, the card error appeared again. This also happened if I turned the camera off. No menu changes were made during this session and the camera was turned off when inserrting cards. The first CF cards pictures were transferred to my computer without any problems. I then tested both of these CF cards in a Canon at home and they both worked fine. The reason for my change to the CF cards versus the MD card was because I was shooting earlier this week in the high Sierra mtn's. Elevation wasn't extreme (7,000 - 8,000 ft) but the temperatures were below 32 degrees and I thought it would not be a good idea to use the MD.
Appreciate any thoughts or similiar experiences.
burkeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 8:56 AM   #10

I'd write to Olympus immediately on this issue, telling them exactly what you said here. I've found their e-mail tech support to be excellent. You may not get a reply within the hour, but you'll hear from them within one or two days.

Or you could always call them.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote