Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:00 PM   #1

Default My 12-60mm lens sent off for repair.

I just shipped off my 12-60mm lens to Olympus for repair. Something has gone wrong with the electronics, as it started to severely underexpose, or conversely, sometimes overexpose. Many of the shots would be so underexposed as to be almost totally black. As all of my other lens work fine, the problem was not the camera body.

At least Olympus makes it easy, as the info and payment is all done on-line. So you just print out the receipt and send it in with the lens. Oly is charging a flat fee of $186 bucks to repair any 12-60 lens. You can get a flat-rate quote on any Olympus equipment at their site:
http://www.oiaservice.com/

(Prices seem to really vary widely, as my 50-200mm would have cost $306 if it had broken, but the 70-300 lens only costs $95 to repair. The flat repair rate for any E-3 camera is only $150. )

This is the first time I have ever had to have any of my Olympus equipment repaired. UPS says it will be at Oly by Wednesday, so it will interesting to see how long the repair takes, and how soon it gets back to me. I will keep everyone informed how it goes.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:04 PM   #2

When the aperture mechanism locked up on mine in 2009 just a few months out of warranty, it cost $330 to repair, took a second trip back to get it right and came back with some beauty marks from the tech. Good luck with yours.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:02 PM   #3

Steve

Good luck on the repair on the lens. In the UK.. Oly UK won;t quote a price on repairs for the E3/E5 or any of the SHG lenses.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:08 PM   #4

The repair went just fine, guys. I posted the results in a new thread. If the threads get separated, here is the latest details at: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...d-olympus.html
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:01 PM   #5

All's well that ends well . Where are they having people send equipment these days for repair? I've read articles about a third-party now doing repairs for Olympus in El Paso.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
All's well that ends well . Where are they having people send equipment these days for repair? I've read articles about a third-party now doing repairs for Olympus in El Paso.
Hi Greg: It my case it was repaired in Enfield Connecticut and it was addressed to Olympus. I like the fact that you get a flat quote in advance and it covers whatever they find when they receive it. You can get price quotes online for all the 4/3 and m4/3 cameras and lens. When you accept the quote, the shipping label to Connecticut can be printed out on your computer. It was all pretty easy. I only needed to buy a suitable shipping box and bubble wrap and then drop it off at the neighborhood UPS store.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:24 PM   #7

That's a pretty slick setup.