Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:47 AM   #1

Default The Clifton Suspension Bridge.. up close

Anothre assignment to Bristol.. so this time I made sure that I got up to the top of Clifton Village to get to see the bridge. I took the 35-100F2+ 14-54 with me on this trip.. possibly the last time I'll ge to use the 35-100F2.

1. An evening out ..

3. Clifton Village, the River Avon and the City of Bristol

8. The Golden Hour

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:33 PM   #2

Wow, what an impressive looking bridge, and an impressive natural setting with the steep rock walls of the river gorge. You really did a good job in capturing the area.

I think that #5 is my favorite, followed closely by #8 and #9.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:36 PM   #3

I find them all great Hartj, good compositions.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:26 PM   #4

I've been really impressed with Bristol.. its got a nice city centre without the kind of vibe that London can have and you have views like the gorge and the bridge within a few miles walking distance. The people that I've met there have been great too .well so far ...
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:32 AM   #5

Thank you for these, Harj! I've never seen a good photo of Brunel's bridge until now. Jeez he was an innovative engineer.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:38 AM   #6

Hey Harj. Beautiful bridge and I like your compositions.

I take it you are selling the 35-100mm f2? I'm sorry to hear it. Beautiful lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:04 PM   #7

Ted, Greg

Until now I had only ever seen the odd pic of the bridge online or while watching TV. Not sure if the snaps are that good.. I think the 14-35F2 would have really been the lens for the wide shots .. the 14-54 did ok but there's a marked difference when I'm looking at the files from the F2.

Now that I've seen two of Brunels marvels up close and personal, he was one gifted engineer..or a total nutter. I don't think the UK has anything like him these days.

Greg, I had the 35-100F2 up for sale a few months back as I needed to riase cash to get me through while looking for work but nobody seemed interested in it. So luckily for me I got the job just as I was going to put it for sale for a second time. Whether I keep it or not I'm really not sure.. I'm planning on getting back to shooting fashion/portraiture/beauty again so I may just hold onto it for now while I try and get back into that way of thinking. However, I think a single fast approx 90mm tack sharp prime would be a better lens to use for that kind of work.. it means I can get close and chat with the model in the studio and with the 35-100F2 that gets hard to do at times.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Great shots Harj and the light in some of those shots is great. Looks like there are some chesty gals in Bristol.