Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:34 PM   #1

Default My 12-60mm lens repaired by Olympus.

My 12-60mm lens is now back from Olympus repair. It took about two weeks from the time that I sent it off, and it is now back and looking like new. I've done a few test shots this morning and everything seems to be bang-on.

Per the invoice, Oly did a complete repair, and returned all functions to factory specs, and also did both an internal and external cleaning of the lens and optical system. I have had a very small hairline crack for years in the small window that covers the distance scale, and I noticed that they also put in a new window there.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the quality of the service. The cost was a flat fee $165.85 quoted in advance, which is much cheaper than buying a new or used replacement.

(As a funny FYI, when I put the repaired lens on the camera and first started shooting today, I thought I was going to have to send it back, as it flat refused to focus when I pressed the shutter.

Now imagine how dumb I felt when I realized that I still had the camera in manual focus mode from shooting fireworks this weekend. )
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:55 PM   #2

G'day Steve

Always good to hear a 'good-news' story
and as for the last bit ... what makes you think you're any different from 99% of us ??

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
... and as for the last bit ... what makes you think you're any different from 99% of us ??

Phil
That NEVER happens to me. Usually I just forget my memory card.

And great to hear your lens is working like new (or that you even got it back for that matter). Gives me faith in the system.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:59 PM   #4

Steve good news that they fixed the lens.. with me its anything.. batteries is the usual one or forgetting that I changed the CAF mode setup to use the back button for focusing !
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:19 PM   #5

...usually I forget the, uh, hmmm, well you know, the thingamajig that sets the zoenstift for the dipolect

I'm glad that worked well for you Steven.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:40 PM   #6

Thanks guys.

( And it's good to know that I am not the only one that makes stupid mistakes with a camera, even after all these years of photography.)
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:37 PM   #7

Speaking of dumb. My daughter and her family were here for 10 days up from Arizona. We took are little grandson to the water park and I had all my camera gear or so I thought. Went to start shooting photos at the water park and the display read "No Memory Card". Luckily enough, when I bought the camera the guy included a bunch of those X cards or whatever they are along with a CF size adaptor. So all was not lost but those smaller cards sure don't write as fast as the CF cards do. SO, you're not alone Steve.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Speaking of dumb. My daughter and her family were here for 10 days up from Arizona. We took are little grandson to the water park and I had all my camera gear or so I thought. Went to start shooting photos at the water park and the display read "No Memory Card". Luckily enough, when I bought the camera the guy included a bunch of those X cards or whatever they are along with a CF size adaptor. So all was not lost but those smaller cards sure don't write as fast as the CF cards do. SO, you're not alone Steve.
LOL, glad you had some back-up cards so you got shots of your grandson. I have learned to carry several CF cards in my camera bag