Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:17 PM   #1

Default A return to the studio .. a 3 year wait and a Beauty shoot

After nearly 3 years of not doing any kind of fashion or beauty photography, I finally got back into the studio. It felt great to be back but also hard to believe that its been nearly 3 years of standing still or loosing what I had been trying to develop as a skill. My aim is just start from over agaon and build up slowly ... with a beauty port and then may be in 6months or more move onto shooting fashion as well.

Here's a single pic from the shoot of the wonderful model, Kris and makeup and hair by the equally beautiful and wonderful Faye. Both were recommeded by Adrian and he was spot on with both.

Pic shot with the 35-100f2 and E-3, shot RAW PP and retouching done in Lightroom. I've forgotten how to retouch so had to use LR's tools to get by. Luckily Kris has an amazing complexion and the retouching is very light.

Next shoot.. not sure but its going to be the same and then building up on it. I like kris, shes a cracker to work with .. very easy going and made it a lot easier to try and get back into the groove.

Harj

Ok.. Here's a 2nd pic of the beautiful Kristina .. just finished retouching it.

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:17 PM   #2

Two outstanding shots of two lovely ladies. I have no doubt of your stdio skills!!

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:18 PM   #3

I'll be happy to be able to do even 1/4 of nice shots like those.

Pretty good job in my book!

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:36 AM   #4

Both shots are superb. That first one belongs on the cover.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Two outstanding shots of two lovely ladies. I have no doubt of your stdio skills!!

Steve .. mate its just the one lovely lady .. its amazing how one person can look quiet different with just a hair and makeup change.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:14 PM   #6

Really great shots Hartj, you wouldn't say that have been away from studio shooting at all.
Really marvelous work !!

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:02 PM   #7

.....it's great seeing these images Harj. Though you may be a bit rusty for retouching you ain't lost a thing with the camera. Well done for a return to your passion.

I'm looking forward to more studio from you.

Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:23 PM   #8

Guys

Thanks for all of the comments and critique on the two pics shown.

Shootwise, those are the good pics and looking at the others there's a lot to try and work on .. esp composition, communication with both the model and the MUA and knowing what you want to shoot. I was very rusty and my composition at times looking at the other pics was not good and I need to work out how to improve my communication skills and thus improve the number of good pics/poses/moods and possibly reduce the number of pics being taken. I came away thinking may be I wasn't concentrating enough on the pose/shape and mood that Kristina was working but more on snapping away.

Oh well.. it was the first shoot and I'm glad it went well... I think pic wise those two may be as good as anything else I have taken in studio todate. Lots to learn and work on .
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:19 AM   #9

Harj, if you ever need help in the studio I'd be willing to assist at no charge.
Great shots.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:54 AM   #10

Beautiful shots Harj, great control of light and the make up and hair is very well done.

Thank you for sharing.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote