Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:52 PM   #1

Default Local birds

Went for a short walk last night, and there were a bunch of Sandhill Cranes walking around.

E-3 and 50-200.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:34 PM   #2

My oh My. I want to be able to do that. About how tall are they?
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:19 PM   #3

Hi Alan: thanks for looking. The younger birds are about 3 feet tall, and the adults are about 4 feet tall. They easily come up to about chest height.

While the sun had not yet set, it was already behind the trees, and the birds were in the shadow areas. I actually used the pop-up flash to take the shots, and it produced a nice catch-light in the eye. I really like the first one, as the flash illuminated the fine gray hairs that grow out of the bright red crown on the head. Usually those fuzzy hairs do not show in a shot.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:28 PM   #4

Good idea to use the flash for fill. That first shot is remarkable.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:47 PM   #5

Great late-in-the-day light for terrific color depth and the fill flash did work well.

Gotta love the menagerie in your neighborhood. We had a potbelly pig runaway inside our gates last week, it rooted away quite a lot of plant beds before being caught. That little stinker was about all the zoo-fun we've had here for a while now, no walkabout photos.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Good idea to use the flash for fill. That first shot is remarkable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Great late-in-the-day light for terrific color depth and the fill flash did work well.

Gotta love the menagerie in your neighborhood. We had a potbelly pig runaway inside our gates last week, it rooted away quite a lot of plant beds before being caught. That little stinker was about all the zoo-fun we've had here for a while now, no walkabout photos.
Thanks guys. Yes, I have found that the pop-up flash on the E-3 can be very useful for fill flash in shadow areas. Usually I keep the E-3 set on 1/4 flash power to handle fill flash. On these shots however, I went to full power second curtain settings because of the distance to the subject.

I know that some guys disparage the pop-up flash, but I don't need the extra weight of a big flash when I'm out walking. And besides, in my outdoor shooting, I never have a ceiling on which to bounce the flash. LOL.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:01 PM   #7

WoW Steven EXCELLENT bird shots
The color and Detail is perfect
The flash really worked well
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:48 AM   #8

I don't typically think about the little pop up flash in connection with fill flash shooting wildlife. I know you must have been closer but there was some decent distance coverage for that to have worked as well as it did. Great catch-light in the eye in that first image, and no redeye!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
WoW Steven EXCELLENT bird shots
The color and Detail is perfect
The flash really worked well
Thank you very much for those comments, Fred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I don't typically think about the little pop up flash in connection with fill flash shooting wildlife. I know you must have been closer but there was some decent distance coverage for that to have worked as well as it did. Great catch-light in the eye in that first image, and no redeye!
Thank you Greg. I use the pop up flash for outdoors fill flash frequently, as the range of flash adjustments on the E-3 is extensive. The E-3 has flash adjustments of 1/4, 1/16, and 1/64 power and + or - flash exposure of +/- 3EV. (Your EM1 probably has even more.) With the Florida sun creating some harsh outdoor shadows, the pop up flash at reduced power is a very useful tool.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:06 PM   #10

Very cool birds to have walking around, and excellent shots. Pop up flash worked wonders. With the prices of the E-3 so low these days I'm tempted to get one. If it's like my old E-1 I know I would love working with it.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote