Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Default Amazed at the E-3's Low Light Capabilities

My daughter and her family came up from Arizona recently and the first place they wanted to go to was the world's largest Christmas store in Frankenmuth, not too far from home. I did not have an outboard flash so I set the ISO to auto and hoped for the best. Needless to say, I was pleased with the results. Lens used was the 14-54 on this photo.

005 (2) by James Gasta, on Flickr

The next photo was taken at a indoor water park in the same city. The lens used was the old series 40-150. Once my son in law climbed up four flights of stairs to go down the huge water slide, he had second thoughts as the photo shows. I didn't post the photos because I thought they were great shots, but just to show the low light capabilities of the camera without gaining much graininess. I'd say pretty good for an older camera.

P9047148 by James Gasta, on Flickr
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:31 PM   #2

James, those are really good low light shots, with good color and sharpness, without excessive noise so often found in low light shots. Well done. And that 14-54 lens gets high praise from everyone who uses it, so you should enjoy having that lens.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:45 AM   #3

Thanks Steve.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:14 AM   #4

Great pictures James, looks very clean and great contrast and color.

I think you just found the sweet spot of your E3 for this kind of environments.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:49 AM   #5

Thank you Marcello although I must admit I did not do anything special with the settings other than setting the focus to single zone.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:49 PM   #6

James

Both shots look nice and clean and as Marcelo pointed out the colour and contrast looks really good.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:26 AM   #7

Haha, at first I thought shot #2 was also at the Christmas tree store, and there were going to be questions.

The shots do look good though, don't they? I know personally I've been trying to be less afraid of pushing the ISO limits.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:25 PM   #8

Thanks Sammy, that shot was taken at the water park.