Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Default Adapter 4/3 lens to nikon f camera

Thousands of adapters out there but when I ask for a specific one I get a list of 'everything' BUT the one I ask for.

Does anyone know if an adapter for a: 4/3 Zuiko lens to a Nikon f mount body is out there.

HELP...!!!!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:51 PM   #2

Well, well; hey Scouse. Hope you are doing well.

I'm a little confused by your question. While I don't know all the Nikon digital cameras, and I don't keep up with their new models, the only Nikon F model that I'm aware of was the 35mm film camera that I used many, many, years ago.

If you are speaking of the old Nikon F film camera, you can easily find adapters for the Olympus OM film camera lens to the old Nikon F. But You can not adapt any digital Zuiko 4/3 lens to the old Nikon F. Not only is there no way for the electronics in the digital Zuiko lens to connect and work, the 4/3 lens image area is designed to cover only partially the old 35mm film area.

If there is a digital Nikon F, even if the electronics of the lens could communicate with the Nikon body, the image from the 4/3 lens would not cover the full area of the 35mm sized sensor. The same would be true of any new digital Nikon body that would use the old full frame bayonet F mount, as a 4/3 lens will not cover the full image area of the 35mm sized sensor. Because of that, I would be surprised if you found any manufacturer that would make a 4/3 to Nikon F adapter.

If I misunderstood your question, let me know.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:15 PM   #3

Hello Steven, Great to hear from you. I haven't posted in Steve's for a while. I do lurk now and then and note that you are still taking excellent shots.

I sold out and went to a Nikon D 600. I know, I've used oly's since the late 60's. I love this camera though but I was taking some shots last week and thought that the bokeh was not as good as the only oly lens I have left, the old 70-300! That gave really pleasing backdrops.

Which lead to the question, could I find an adapter and use it. ( cheap lens) Cheap me!
I believe, I've never been a techie expert, that you have answered my question 4/3 to full sensor size. Duh! I also believe that Nikon still use the f mount for their digicams. Feel free to call me out on that.

I saw lots of adapters going the other way. Nikon lens to 4/3 cameras or mini 4/3. Now I understand why

Thanks for responding to my question. So good to hear from you again.

Cheers Ken.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:09 PM   #4

Always good to hear from you, Ken. I think you are probably right, the F mount could still be used in some digital models, with the electronic connections added. (I stopped keeping up with Nikon years ago after I got my first Olympus OM-2 film camera. )

Back when Oly and Panasonic were working on the designs that would become the 4/3 standards, they had the concept of a "made from scratch" digital slr but with smaller size than the big heavy film cameras at the time. Also, the wide image diameter of the film camera lenses caused too much light striking at acute angles at the edges of the newly developed 4/3 size sensor. Anyway, the 4/3 standard is for the sensor to cover the sweet spot of the lens image area. Most distortions and lens aberrations is usually found at the edges, and not in the center anyway.

Anyway, because of the lens image area, the 4/3 lens would not cover completely a sensor that was the size of 35mm film. So I think you are not going to find that adapter for your Zuiko.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote