Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 9, 2015, 6:16 AM   #1

Default B-29 Superfortress Attacks Washington, DC

Actually it was a flyover by a lot of WWII warbirds yesterday, commemorating the 70th anniversary of VE day. This is Fifi, the last B-29 still flying.

This was my first photo shoot of airplanes in flight, and this was the only keeper. They were flying down the middle of the Potomac river at 1000' and at the shore I was some 500' from the middle. What I learned is that you need to get closer than that - this was at my telephoto limit (35-100 f/2 plus a 1.4 teleconverter). Still, it's not too bad...

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 9, 2015 at 6:19 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2015, 7:59 PM   #2

Well done. That is a dramatic composition of Fifi flying. The angle of the wings and the perfect prop blur are really spot on, and convey a good sense of speed. I think that you could actually crop it a little to make the plane bigger.

If you got some more aircraft shots from the ceremonies they would be nice to see also.

(I got some shots of Fifi on display when she visited in my area last year, but I never got to see her in flight. I posted some shots then.)
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...rfortress.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015, 6:32 AM   #3

Thanks, Steven. I had forgotten your post about Fifi.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:46 AM   #4

Hi Ted. Having been lurking on this forum for a few years, your excellent photo of the B-29 has finally driven me to post something.

This plane and its four sisters fly past my house regularly. It's an Airbus A300-600ST Beluga and was built specially to transport Airbus wings, manufactured nearby, to France or Germany.

These were two of the first shots I took with the 50-200 SWD, EC-20 combination on my E-30.

Having started, I will probably post a few more random shots, but I'm not a particularly prolific photographer.

John
Attached Images

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
JGlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015, 2:25 PM   #5

Hi, John. Thanks for posting those - I've heard of the Beluga but not seen a photo of one. Welcome here!

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old May 10, 2015, 3:24 PM   #6

Thanks Ted. As I said, I'll be posting a few more shots - I've one or two that might interest Scouse, who I think still frequents this forum.

John

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Old May 10, 2015, 3:40 PM   #7

This forum has been quiet but a lot of us are still using our 4/3 gear. I think that's partially because we have a lot invested in it, and partially because no one is likely to get a sharp image from holding a camera out away from their bodies. Yes, some of the Oly m43 cameras have viewfinders but most non-professional cameras do not.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:17 AM   #8

Hi John. Thanks for posting those photos, and welcome to the forum. We are alway glad to welcome new participants.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:33 PM   #9

Thanks Steve. I'll be dipping into my archives and seeing if I've any shots interesting enough to post here.

Like Ted, I've invested a lot in my Olympus gear to give it up. Besides, I would have to spend a fortune getting the same quality.

Meanwhile, it's off for a couple of hours birdwatching followed by my local pub quiz.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Old May 13, 2015, 7:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGlazz View Post
Thanks Steve. I'll be dipping into my archives and seeing if I've any shots interesting enough to post here.

Like Ted, I've invested a lot in my Olympus gear to give it up. Besides, I would have to spend a fortune getting the same quality.

Meanwhile, it's off for a couple of hours birdwatching followed by my local pub quiz.
I hear you, John; and my equipment list is similar to yours. I have both the 12-60mm and the 50-200mm, plus an EC14 for my E-3.