Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:46 AM   #1

Default Why I love DxO Optics for photo editing

Besides doing a better job than Photoshop, it's easier to use and way less expensive (it's a photo editing app, not a general graphics editing app that also edits photos). But if you do architectural photography the best part is the Viewpoint part, which corrects the perspective (up/down and left/right).

Before:

https://tkurkowski.smugmug.com/photo...g6LcKqR-X2.jpg

After:

https://tkurkowski.smugmug.com/Tibet...20Stupa-XL.jpg

It's not just that the horizon is corrected (you can do that in PShop) it's that the Stupa is tilted forward to be upright so its proportions are correct, rather than leaning backwards like most structures do when shot from below.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:13 PM   #2

That is interesting, Ted. I may look into that. There are times that I do use software to correct tilt in my real estate photos.

P.S. - You need to be posting more often.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:56 PM   #3

Try DxO Optics - it's great at correcting architectural distortions that are inevitable unless you can levitate yourself up to the midpoint of a building. Also it does all the PP you can do with PShop but more easily and better.

You're right that I need to post more often. Part of the problem is that regardless of which browser I use (Chrome, Firefox, or IE) I can't get the image to appear in the post. Just rusty I guess.

FWIW I'm playing with a new old camera I just got off of eBay. I've always loved the form of the E-10/20, which was also used on the E-1. I never had an E-1 but was always intrigued with the C-8080 that also has that form. The C-8080 was an itch I couldn't scratch and I just bought one on eBay for a very good price ($90), figuring it would be good for a grab-and-go camera.

I do like it although a year 2004 8MP sensor is too noisy to use anywhere except in daylight but that's OK for what I have in mind. It feels really good in the hand.

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:37 PM   #4

LOL. You won't believe this, but I bought a refurbished C-8080 from Olympus many years ago, and still have it. And, yes, I still use it from time to time. Just can't bring myself to get rid of it. I especially like it for doing macro shots. The lens on the camera is outstanding, IMHO.

"....unless you can levitate yourself up to the midpoint of a building. "
That is right. In taking house photos for the listing real estate agents, I soon learned how useful an aluminum stepladder can be. Now I take one with me on every shoot. It not only can provide a better angle than the typical real estate shots, but climbing up the ladder actually saves a lot of shots from the need to do tilt correction in PP. It does not eliminate it for every shot, but does for a big portion of the shots that I deliver to the agent.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:42 AM   #5

I'm enjoying the C-8080 although I haven't shot a lot yet. The E-5 is excellent and its f/2 glass is superb but altogether they're really heavy to lug around. I have a Panny L-1 that's lighter but I really prefer a good zoom and even the L-1 gets heavy with any of my zoom lenses. So I was looking at my E-20 and how much I liked it but it's information bus is really slow - a long wait between shots, and that's a really old (and small) sensor.

So far, I think the 8080 will be good for a grab and go camera. Since it starts to get noisy above ISO 100 I wasn't sure I'd be OK with that (I'm spoiled with my current gear) but then I remembered that for years I was happy shooting Kodachrome 64 with lenses no faster than the 8080's.

PS: Please refresh my memory about how to get a link to an image to show up as the image itself here.

Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:51 AM   #6

They changed something up on this site some time ago and I had to change my method of posting hyperlinks. It used to be super easy. It now takes me multiple steps to get just one image posted. If I do a multiple image series, it's a process. If you are a smugmug user I could tell you what I do. If you use something else, no telling what it takes.

I really want to like DXO. The default colors it produces from Olympus files are magnificent. Owned it now for a while. I've posted a couple of long-winded pieces on it in the Olympus Micro Four-Thirds forum here, one recently. I had to buy the higher cost Elite version to process Olympus E-M1 files. There are some things DXO does better today than they used to, like highlight retention/recovery, but it is missing several key tools I use all the time in ACR, such as the ability to do localized edits, and gradient masks. You can do the equivalent of dodging and burning in ACR, something that's impossible in DXO.

It's also taking longer and longer for DXO to come out with new profiles. I've had the 7-14mm f2.8 M. Zuiko now since June and their site is saying the E-M1 + 7-14mm f2.8 profile will not be out until almost December.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 28, 2015 at 8:36 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
They changed something up on this site some time ago and I had to change my method of posting hyperlinks. It used to be super easy. It now takes me multiple steps to get just one image posted. If I do a multiple image series, it's a process. If you are a smugmug user I could tell you what I do.
Hi, Greg! Yes I am a Smugmug user. I'd appreciate the advice.

PS: I'm a huge fan of Smuugmug, for their excellent Helpdesk and because they give a free account to any 501.c.3, a business model few companies use.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 28, 2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
...I've posted a couple of long-winded pieces on it in the Olympus Micro Four-Thirds forum here, one recently. I had to buy the higher cost Elite version to process Olympus E-M1 files.
I've always had to buy the Elite version and upgrades for the E-5.

I looked up your DxO posts in the m4/3 forum. Good information. Most of my photography is a bunch of shots of events, where localized editing would make my brain explode, and where the ultimate uses of the photos are on the web where punch is a primary goal. But I appreciate the reminder that ACR allows that editing.

Good to her from you! I've thought about replacing my E5 and SHG glass with m4/3 but I can't afford the financial bath I would take doing that.

Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:27 PM   #9

I'll give you the step by step process I use this evening when I get home. Sitting on a bus at the car rental terminal at the Denver airport right now. Still a good 8-9 hours before I'm "there", LOL.

I miss all the good folks I don't see enough anymore in this forum.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:25 PM   #10

Go to the folder in Smugmug where you are taking the image, select the file and, using the share icon below the image, chose Get a Link, and go to this selection..

Copy and post the circled link into the post. Now....you're not quite finished yet.

The link you have here will post at 'Large". I like the X2 size, so I go to the two "L"s circled below within the link address..sorry about the two circles that are not exactly alike...

and change those to "X2" or whatever size you want to show the image. You will not see the image until you actually post your message, or you can preview the post first. Right now, Steve's allows up to 12 images like this in one post, and anyone can click on the images and will go to your page to view the image larger, or see the other images in the folder.

This is the X2 size...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 28, 2015 at 9:28 PM.