Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:59 AM   #1

Default A walk round a lake

My wife and I spent a couple of days in the English Lake District last week. We stayed in the village of Grasmere, more-or-less in the middle of the National Park. The Lake District, for those of you who don't know it, is fairly compact (certainly by North American standards), but very picturesque. The weather can also change very frequently, as you might gather from these shots. The old saying that "the UK doesn't have a climate, it has weather" is especially true in the Lake District. The walk was around the small lake the village is named after.
All the shots are hand-held using the 12-60 without filters. I did, however, use Lightroom 6 to add a graduated neutral-density filter where appropriate. I also used the new de-haze feature, which is quite impressive. As with all such features, you have to be very cautious using them, but the de-haze can certainly give some "bounce" if desired.
Attached Images

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
JGlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:36 AM   #2

Those are wonderful landscape shots. Really good compositions, and very natural looking colors. The cloud cover creates a nice tranquil mood theme for all the shots. The 12-60 is one of my favorite lens, and you certainly know how to put it to good use.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:14 PM   #3

Thanks Steven. I too love the 12-60 and think it's one of the best lenses around.

I also like the new de-haze feature in Lightroom, but as I said, it should be used with caution. I prefer, if possible, to do as little post-processing as possible, but scenes such as these taken on a dull day usually produce pretty flat colours. I suspect that the de-haze is a combination of a few other functions, but from my brief experience of it, it is an impressive feature.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
JGlazz is offline   Reply With Quote