Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:28 PM   #1

Default The times, they are a changin'

What's happening with digital cameras is astonishing. I had someone unexpectedly repay a loan, and I bought the Sony DSC-RX100M3. It's a tiny camera that fits in your pocket, but it has a 20MP sensor. You can see it here:
http://www.sony.com/electronics/cybe...as/dsc-rx100m3
But that doesn't really tell you how small it is: 4 x 2.29 x 1.61 in.

It won't replace my Oly DSLR gear but it will get more use - as they say, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you when a photo opp presents itself.
This was just the 4th photo I took with it - of my backyard, downsized to 25% to fit in this forum (Warning - it's expensive - you don't get this quality for free):
Attached Images

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 14, 2017 at 2:42 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:32 PM   #2

Hey Ted .. Hope your aok mate.. its bee na long time me posting on the forum. That wee little Sony is a pretty special camera, I saw someone walking around with one at lunchtime today and was thinking if they knew how good that little beastie was ! Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:26 AM   #3

Hi, Harj!

For me, I was attracted by the reviews and the fact that it has a Carl Zeiss designed lens. I really see a difference in the lenses designed by Leica (on my E5) and Zeiss.

Two pro photographers have each written a book on how to use its extensive controls. In fact, one of them made an interesting observation I was unaware of:

"Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularization of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" circular video camera tubes had a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16mm diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size was a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16mm."
(16mm is 0.63")

People are made to be loved and things are made to be used. The confusion in this world is that people are used and things are loved. (Unknown author)
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:41 AM   #4

Hi Ted. Sounds like you have acquired a really nice little camera. You can't beat small cameras for the practically of being able to carry it with you almost anywhere. Being designed smaller seems to be a trend now.

I love my E-3 but I can understand the trend to smaller. Last month at our local camera club someone brought a OMD-EM1 mk ll, and an EM-10. While I'd seen plenty of pictures of them, I was still surprised at how small they were.

So it looks like you are out front on this trend. You should have a ball being able to carry high quality around in your pocket.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
[snip] I love my E-3 but I can understand the trend to smaller. Last month at our local camera club someone brought a OMD-EM1 mk ll, and an EM-10. While I'd seen plenty of pictures of them, I was still surprised at how small they were.
Hi, Steven!

I love my E5 as well. And if I am doing some serious photography that's what I enjoy using. Frankly I like the large size - it fits my large hands well. I can't see myself switching to 43 (even if I could afford that, which I can't). But it's astonishing that I can take as small a camera as this Sony RX100M3 out hiking and bring back good photos. It's too bad I can't just leave it in the car - the DC summers here would cook it to a well done temperature, no meat thermometer needed.

Ted
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:01 PM   #6

Another interesting comment in one of the books I'm reading about the Sony DSC-RX100M3, is not related specifically to that camera but is of interest to us here.

We've all been frustrated at some point, with the fact that digital camera images don't have the dynamic range we see with our eyesight. Well it turns out that that's not an accident/limitation of the technology, it's intentional. Gary L. Friedman, who wrote "The Complete Guide to Sony's RX-100 III" that I'm reading, is a pro photographer who is a retired rocket scientist for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, where he patented the image authentication system used in high-end Canon and Nikon cameras.

Here's what he says, "There’s a REASON the film and digital sensors were designed with a narrow dynamic range to begin with – it’s because anything wider looked too low-contrast, resulting in images that people said looked flat and lifeless."

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 21, 2017 at 6:03 PM.