Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 2, 2002, 1:36 PM   #1

Default Lens Distortion on E-10

I've had my E-10 for over a year and have been very satisfied with the camera...I have used it primarily for product work and it has saved me a fortune in film, processing, FedEx (yeah, where I live, I have to ship film for E-6 processing) not to mention the fear of the unknown...did I get the shots, was the lighting correct, sweat, sweat)
Recently I've been working on a brochure that required some interior images of a clubhouse under constructiion. Since I have the stock lens, I just racked it as wide as it would go and shot. After transferring the images to my computer, I was surprised to see barrel distortion...not parallax but "bowing" of the middle portion of the image.
Any one had a similar problem? Would attaching the optional wide angle lens help with this situation. Comment/Suggestons would be greatly appreciated.
Regards to all - David
DavidBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2002, 8:16 PM   #2

There is slight barrell distortion with the E10/20, but it is actually quite mild compared to many zoom lenses. The Olympus Camedia software (that came with the camera) has a great correction for this (slight problem). For me it is the only reason to load the software. Give it a try if you find the distortion a problem.
snagglepuss31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 4:28 PM   #3

Well, I guess I should finally load the Camedia software. I use a card reader for transferring files from my E20 to the computer, so I saw no reason to even load the software. I hadn't noticed the barrel distortion, but I did read about it in the dpreview review of the E20. I didn't know about the software to correct barrel distortion. Thanks!
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 2:38 PM   #4

Default Even wider-angle views through software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBird
...Recently I've been working on a brochure that required some interior images of a clubhouse under constructiion. Since I have the stock lens, I just racked it as wide as it would go and shot. After transferring the images to my computer, I was surprised to see barrel distortion...not parallax but "bowing" of the middle portion of the image.
Any one had a similar problem? Would attaching the optional wide angle lens help with this situation. Comment/Suggestons would be greatly appreciated.
Regards to all - David
Perry is right, there are utilities (Mac & Windows) on the Camedia disk to correct barrel distortion. There are also deBarrelizer, Helmut Dersch's Panotools (free), and (the late lamented?) FloppyLens, which I think was by Klaus Busse.

In answer to the second part of your question, the Olympus wide adapter for the E-series cameras is quite a sharp piece, but it does result in images which have even more barrel distortion than those taken at the usual wide 35mm equivalent focal length.

Even so, I wouldn't want to do without the wide adapter. It's not so readily accessible as the 28 mm EFL on the Minolta Dimage 7Hi, but of course the Olys have other advantages.

In my experience, the barrel distortion is only apparent in man-made environments (ie. having straight lines) such as the interiors you were shooting, or in occasions where the earth's horizon takes up a big chunk of your image off-axis.

Further to the matter of getting wider views with digital cameras, I have had great experience with Realviz Stitcher. By shooting slightly overlapping images (at least 15% overlap) of your desired scene, you can create views that are many times wider than with a single shot, and have a great increase in total resolution as a bonus.

Unlike doing this in a image editing app like Photoshop (painstaking work, lemmetellya), you also have the option to render a rectilinear view, which they call 'planar'. Too, the application can eliminate any barrel (or pincushion) distortion of your original images as part of the stitching process.

They've just released a version called Stitcher EZ, which I know nothing about other than the name.

Other than for 'live', candid, or rapidly-changing subject matter, one could even consider Stitcher as an alternative to purchasing a wide-angle adapter.

Here's a justification for you: you already seem to have an established relationship with the client - how about offering to shoot a 360 degree QuickTime VR of the completed clubhouse?

Mebbe these can whet your appetite (scroll down to QTVR thumbnails)
http://www.zoomandgo.com/placestosta...HCARSCB00A0002

have fun!

Hal
nnawslah is offline   Reply With Quote