Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 12, 2004, 3:38 PM   #1

I have three Olympus cameras: a 3030Z, my E-10, and a D-230. I hadn't used my E-10 for awhile so decided to give it a whirl. I put freshly recharged batteries in and got a low-battery message after 2 or 3 pictures. So I put another set of batteries in, thinking I must have put in the wrong ones. Not. Do I have a short in my camera? Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?

I haven't had this problem with either one of my other cameras, and I have no problems using the same batteries in these other cameras.
macbeirne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2004, 2:44 PM   #2

I was wondering the same. I just got this camera from my brother in law and I know it worked fine for him and once I got it....I have the same problem with the batteries showing that they were low when they aren't. It will just stop working then. Anyone have any ideas?
cookie157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:39 AM   #3

To MacBeirne.....

Just wanted to tell you that after going through several new batteries yesterday and still having the same problem....I went to the store and noticed the batteries were supposed to be plain old alkaline. I put them in and it is working perfect for me!
Old Oct 17, 2004, 9:55 PM   #4

Hi Cookie...

I own the E-10 camera also....I have 4 sets of NiMH rechargeable batteries...Sets are as follows... [1 set] -2200 mAh , [2 sets] -1600 mAh , [1 set] - 1500mAh....

I charge them FULL...and it varies to the drain on them....I also use them (in another Olympus C-2100) camera...and they last MUCH longer..

Now ..I would say the batteries are fine..but someone more knowledgeable...may shed some light on WHY the E-10 " drains " the batteries ata MUCH FASTER rate...if considering all things about equal.?

I thought maybe the E-10 (simply) drains these batteries FASTER (but has to be a reason of course for doing so)....

I see the " battery icon " FLASHING/Blinking...indicating low battery levels left...BUT I have NOT (*yet*) under controlled circumstances -tested to see how long the batteries are really able to last..

(Not a good practice as " Murphy's law " might come into play..and batteries " DIE at a crucial " picture taking time...... <sigh>)

I don't SEE (FIND) much info here any longer on current E-10 owners / users of their cameras...How many still own theirs and use it regularly..?

Be nice to see some pics taken using the E-10...Have any links?

Bye for now........Hope to hear someone elses viewpoints too......In Christ...Ed~

One_Eye_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:05 PM   #5

If you:

Keep your LCD monitor on.

Keep AutoFocus On.

Do a lot of flash photos

or any combo of above, batts will not last as long.

You might want to try a set of four 2100 or 2200 NIMH new batts.

I have an E20 and can shot dozens of shots between batts.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:20 AM   #6

Hi Ed...

I, myself, have bought the rechargeable batteries for my camera. I bought 2 sets and I also keep regular batteries for the "just in case" times. The recharger I bought can house charge or charge in the car which I find very convenient especially when taking a trip! With the rechargeables, I don't know just how many pictures I get but I do get quite a lot to each set. I get some beautiful pictures with the camera. I also bought a telephoto lens for it but I don't use it too often but bring it with me just in case I find something I want to get a closer picture of. I have done pictures of all my flowers and the mountains around here and they are just beautiful. Enjoy!:|
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:54 PM   #7

I have this camera, and yes, I had the same problem. But for me, the error was in the cockpit lol! Rechargeables don't last forever.
I put in a new set and it's working perfect as usual.

Hope you resolve your camera issue soon.
Ghostwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:05 PM   #8

I actually have the same issue of late. Strangely, the older 1600mah batteries seems to last longer than the new 2500mah. Has anyone else discovered this?

etino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:03 AM   #9

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
If you:

Keep your LCD monitor on.

Keep AutoFocus On.

Do a lot of flash photos

or any combo of above, batts will not last as long.

You might want to try a set of four 2100 or 2200 NIMH new batts.

I have an E20 and can shot dozens of shots between batts.

Good luck
Are you stating that the E20 consumes so much power that you can only take
' dozens of shots " ?
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:30 PM   #10
HT

Hi I have the same problem on an E-20 and I just realized the cause of the problem. If it is not the batteries, most likely it's the same as my situation.

Try this test and you will see:
Instead of inserting the battery holder and locking it, push it all the way inside and continue pushing without locking it. The idea is to keep pushing all the way. Turn it ON and you will see that it now works.

I resolved the issue by pushing the battery pack and releasing it a few times over and over, probably loosening the spring mechanism a little. I will see if the solution lasts.

HT
HT is offline   Reply With Quote