Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:11 PM   #1

After making several comparative test shots (w/Canon Image Stabilization lenses), I just sold my Canon DRebel w/lenses & purchased the Olympus E-1 with 14-55 & 50-200 Zuiko lenses. I found the images from the all digital E-1 to be much sharper. As I have mentioned, I've been selling fine art prints at both charity auctions and directly (when I can find a good venue). Most of the sale quality prints came from my Olympus C-730; few from my DRebel. After six months of use, I was becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the quality with both Canon and Tamron lenses (The few sale quality prints was using the Tamron 28-300). I purchased my body and two lenses from Cameta Camera via their ebay auctions - I saved over $600 off what I would have paid retail for the same equipment and received great service. I can report that the control layout of the Olympus E-1 is more logical than the DRebel and the picture taking performance quite exhilarating. I just got it yesterday and have not a chance to download and work the software, so I'll have to report on this later. I also found the weatherproofing (especially here in Colorado with dust and sudden thunderstorms) and vibrating processor cleaning a real plus for my shooting conditions. As many of you regulars know, I have a real concern about frequent lens changes. I share this info with my fellow Steve's Regulars FYI. I'll let you know as I use the E-1 if I think I made the right decision!:?:
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:50 AM   #2

I know you made the right decision, but personally I'm waiting to see what the consumer version 4:3 that Olympus is going to released before the end of the year is going to be (since I can't afford the E-1).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:14 PM   #3

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I know you made the right decision, but personally I'm waiting to see what the consumer version 4:3 that Olympus is going to released before the end of the year is going to be (since I can't afford the E-1).
Same here, just can't justify the expence of the E-1 right now....although I do love the camera and would love to own one especially after playing with it a couple times now at the store.:-)
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 5:36 PM   #4

Hi Guys - I recently was shooting in a very dusty environment atop Elmagre Mountain (next to Pikes Peak) and in the rain inthe Garden of Eden Canyon (above Green Mountain Falls north of Pikes Peak) and had a lot of peace of mind knowing that the E-1 offers great dust and moisture protection. I hope Olympus can offer the same features in the consumer model. As I have mentioned, I got really good pricing from Cameta Camera on ebay, great service, buying experience, etc. I saved a little over 20% on my E-1 and lenses compared to puchasing from a dealer, was the only way I could barely get into the E-1. Check Cameta out on ebay when you want to buy. You have to watch the reserve pricing very closely and try to keep your bid near that reserve amount.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote