Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:38 AM   #1

My E20P was accidentally exposed to some degree of dampness(not very much I'd say!)When I tried to power-up, all that happened was the little information LED screen at the top briefly lit-up with all it's information on display and then promptly died. In spite of carefull (and very gentle)drying-out over the next 24hrs. it never regained consciousness and I was forced in the end to send it to Olympus for repair and service.I honestly believe that the camera was not exposed to any more dampness than being caught for a moment in an un-expected rain shower.

Within 48hrs. the camera arrived back to me with a note from the workshop saying my camera was BER. (beyond economic repair). I cannot believe that a company as large as Olympus cannot repair or at least offer some sort of Factory refurb/ Service exchange unit. After Olympus had returned the camera I then sent it to another repair centre, who being un-able to obtain any spares sent it once again to Olympus.They in turn had the same reply as being un-economical to repair. I would have thought that should have been my decision.It seems to me there is no future for my camera and i wondered if anyone out there is a camera repair whizz Kid who might be able to do something for me. I am anxious to have it working again as I have all the Lenses and accessories that I bought with it last year. Failing a repair can anyone offer me a service exchange or an E20 at the right price, or an E10.

Laurie Church
Laurie Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2004, 1:31 PM   #2

Have you tried ebay.?
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:08 PM   #3

Would only try Ebay as a last resort:sad:
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:47 PM   #4

Hi Laurie - I'm very sorry to hear about your camera misfortune. I've had very good success with ebay, if it helps. I've sold a couple of cameras and kits recently - check my user name , fporch just like at Steve's site. If you have to replace, I just bought an E-1 that I am extremely pleased with - you can look at my first efforts at http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100 , the Norther California album. The E-1 is sealed against moisture and dust, which is one of the reasons I purchased as I live in Colorado where it is dusty and we're subject to very fast moving thunderstorms. I bought my E-1 and lenses off ebay from Cameta Camera - a great seller and I saved almost 20% off list. Again, sorry to hear about your bad luck, I hope you can work this out.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:43 AM   #5

I knew someone from Olympus who tested their E-1 by putting it in the shower for 20 minutes...still works perfectly.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:07 PM   #6

Its a pity they hadn't tried the same trick with the E20!

Anyway I cant afford an E1.

I now have a Nikon D70 which I'm getting used to.

Sohas anyone ever taken the E20 apart, can any parts be made use of as spares?

would anyone be interested in making an offer for the camera