Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:55 AM   #1

I am looking to go into a Digital SLR after a few years with a Fuji Digital (and before that an Olympus OM1)

I am looking at the following cameras

E1

Canon D10

Nikon D100

I was unsure about the E1 because of the propriatory lens system, but I have been told that Sigma will be producing some lenses soon, as well as Fuji. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, my local camera centre has just informed me that the price of the E1 has just come down to £1199 inclusive of a lens

I am probably asking in the wrong forum (Grin) but why should I buy the E1 over the other two cameras?

One other question, I still have a T20 flash, will it work on the E1? (trying to save money like mad (grin)

thanks for your responses in advance
Alan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:48 PM   #2

Hi Alan - These are all good cameras. After using a Canon Digital Rebel for several months with various lenses (including Canon IS lenses) I switched to the E-1. I had used an Olympus C 700 series for a couple of years (on my third camera now - the C-765). For reasons I still don't undersatnd, I was getting better fine art prints (which I sell - sold five A3 prints today) from the Olympus fixed-lens shooting in manual. I just figure I'm an Olympus guy and moved up to the E-1. I've been using it for about 6 weeks now and I just grin with pleasure every time I'm using it. It feels good in my hand, balances nicely with even the 50-200 lens, is quick to track, focus and lock. I like that I don't have to worry about getting dust on the sensor every time I change lenses (the sensor vibrates every time the camera is turned on). I took side by side shots on the same compact card with my Canon (which I sold on ebay) and the E-1 and the E-1 images were noticeably sharper and better saturated. Yes, it is more expensive, but I think the idea (lenses made to fit the sensor) behind the camera is worth the extra from the results I am getting. As I mentioned before on this site, I bought my kit on ebay from Cameta Camera and saved over 20% by watching the minimum bidding levels (I realize you would have to pay customs...) . There are a few improvements Olympus needs to make - the three point focus isn't enough - I miss the seven point system in the DRebel. And the camera needs to clear the buffer out faster - its slower compared to the other cameras you mention, although the E-1 is acceptable for the type of shooting I do. But - all in all, I really love this camera and the two Olympus lenses. I regularly shoot in dusty and/or moist conditions and this camera is made to withstand these type of abuses. My guess is your flash will work, although I don't use a flash that much - I prefer available light....

Here's another link that may be helpful;

http://www.dcMag.co.uk/fm.asp?R=4&T=4252&M=63772

Also, I'll post my site again - the two most recent albums are with my E-1.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100

fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 6:39 AM   #3

The E1 is the new 4/3 system (which has an 18mm sensor of 4:3 aspect ratio, instead of the usual APS C sensor of 24mm). This means that the lenses can be smaller and the 35mm equivalent is calculated by doubling the real focal length instead of multiplying by 1.5. Fuji, Sigma, Panasonic and Olympus have signed up to this system. Sigma already produce some lenses (but only 3 as yet, I think). That's the main problem - you're going to be a bit limited for choiceat the moment. The Olympus lenses are staggeringly expensive.

The other problem is that there's no image stabilisation on offer. The new Minolta (out in September) will have IS in the camera body (which is the best), Canon sell IS lenses (at a price) and Nikon call their equivalent VR (vibration reduction). But the E1 doesn't offer it (yet). This may not matter to you if you always use a tripod or shoot mainly wide angle, but I wouldn't buy a camera without it.

It's a pity because the camera is good and the fact that it's all designed from the ground up instead of being cobbled together from old 35mm equipment is appealing. Just remember that, whatever one you go for, when you buy the lenses you're basically trapped into that system. That's why Canon are selling the 300d for peanuts.

Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:39 AM   #4

I'm not an E-1 user (yet), but have been at E-1 seminars put on by Olympus and professional photographers...the E-1 is a dream machine. When Olympus was designing it they went to 30 professional photographers to learn what they need to do it right, and they did.

Yes it is more expensive, but it's not a consumer dSLR.

One thing that's really great about the E-1 (especially compared to Canons and Nikons) is the E-1's dynamic range (the difference between light and dark).

Olympus says they're going to come out with a lower-end 4:3 camera by the end of year, but no word on how much it will be stripped down or if it will be up to the E-1 quality.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:22 AM   #5

Well guys,

Thanks for your words of advice.

I went to the London Camera Exchange & Jessops today, tried out the various models (Though most at LCE as Jessops had no card or charged battery for their D10!) and I made a choice.

.................................................. ................

(thought i'd make you wait (grin) )

I bought an Olympus E1 with 14-54mm lens, Lowepro Nova 3 camera bag, spare Olympus BLM1 battery, sandisk 1.0 GB compact flash card and 100 free picture prints for the waht I think is reasonable price total of

£1,329 GBP.!

I decided to wait with regads to the flash gun, as at £300 itsGOT to be cheaper to buy it on my next visit to the USA, so will have to make do with my T20 until then.

The camera just felt right, the ease of use and feel of the controls was just great.

Thanks for all your help

Alan A

Olympus E1 owner :-) :-)
Old Aug 11, 2004, 8:53 PM   #6

Congratulations! The IS issue that Technophile notes about the IS was a consideration when I was choosing a system, but has dissipated as I use the E-1. I actually tried Canon IS lenses out over a long weekend and I frankly could not see that much difference between the shots I took with 1 - the IS lenses on the DRebel; 2 -with a Tamron 28-300 ; 3 - and my Olympus C-730 - it was slightly noticeable when the photo was blown up 200-300 percent. I took landscape, medium shots on fixed objects and close-ups of hummingbirds and dogs. I dunno, maybe its just the way I shoot, but I decided this was a non-issue for me. On the price, the pleasure of a lower price on the DRebel was not worth it after six months and I wasn't happy with the pics I was getting. Yeah, I spent more on the Olympus SLR, but I was reminded not for he first time in my life that I should have bought what I wanted in the first place - it would have been cheaper in the long run then selling my Canon kit at a 35% loss! Alan - pls. report back with some posts and how its going with YOUR E-1!
Old Aug 12, 2004, 2:18 AM   #7

Thanks all for your help.

Still getting used to the workings at the moment. Only problems I am having is that the updated Windows XP drivewr seems to be a bit buggy and it has crashed my computer a few times, even when downloading the firmware updates from the Olympus web site (though not crashing when uopdating to the camera itself).

Plus the (again updated) Photoshop Camera raw plug-in whilst it brings in the picture OK, for some reason the controls in the plug in frame are only half showing, i.e. the frame wont "size" properly to allow me to use the controls, and will not re size even manually. I will try to download the plug in again.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:22 AM   #8

Alan - I use an Apple G5 and PS Elements - have not had any of these issues, sorry to hear that you are. The Olympus file viewer and editer have worked well on my sytem, I especially like the RAW manipulations compared the DRebel software I was using - much faster. I also use a card reader w/firewire that really made the process of downloading easier and faster.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:12 PM   #9

I sorted the Photoshop problem:- silly me! As I am using a small 12 inch monitor(I will change it when it dies) so I had the resolution at 800 X 600. changed it to 1024 X 768 and everything was fine (though a bit small! ) (grin)

I spoke to Olympus about the computer crashing problem. They advised me to use the USB connection instead, as they think there might be a problem with some Firewire cards on IBM compatable machines. Most firewires they deal with are on Macs.they said they might need to do adriver update for firewires compatability with some IBM style computer cards.

So, changed to USB. Better, but still got one crash. after that it seems to be working Ok (Touch wood)

Going to play with the settings for my T20 flashgun tonight :-)
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:09 PM   #10

Alan A wrote:
Quote:
I sorted the Photoshop problem:- silly me! As I am using a small 12 inch monitor¬*(I will change it when it dies)
12 inches??? That monitor must be ancient...you're going to kill your eyes with that thing. Seriously, it's time to upgrade. Newer monitors are much better, and CRTs have lower radiation emissions, and they are much clearer. I wouldn't go back to using something so ancient.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote