Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2004, 7:39 AM   #11
NHL

fporch wrote:
Quote:
I get rich, beautiful A3 size images from the E-1 and it is a real pleasure to use.
IMO, at least here the E1 is also the "wrong" choice: A3 is closer to the 3:2 rectangular format. Hence you need a higher enlargement on an already smaller squarish CCD to fill the wider paper, whereas on the 300D/10D (3:2) you're only cropping the ends with a lesser magnification -> Technically the 300D/10D is better matched for the A3-size as well!

There's a very simple explanation for the "apparent" sharpness that you see: With the smaller E1's CCD the wider DOF does make a picture "seems" sharper since more things overall will be in focus than on other dSLRs... but it does come with many trade-offs! (All you needed to do on the DRebel was to stop the lens down for the same effect)... :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 7:31 AM   #12

Hi fporch. Quick question. Do you shoot in RAW mode or in TIFF or JPEG mode? I was thinking of trying to shoot in RAW mode as I have read it's the most flexible, but I was wondering how you convert your RAW images to TIFF? I read that Olympus supplies some conversion software, but didn't know if you can convert a bunch of images at once or just one image at a time. Ihave Photoshop 7, which doesn't have the RAW plugin, so I would have to rely on Olumpus software for RAW file conversion. Also, how large are the files after converting from RAW to TIFF? Somewhere in the 30MB range?

Thanks

David
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:19 AM   #13

NHL wrote:
Quote:
fporch wrote:

There's a very simple explanation for the "apparent" sharpness that you see: With the smaller E1's CCD the wider DOF does make a picture "seems" sharper since more things overall will be in focus than on other dSLRs... but it does come with many trade-offs! (All you needed to do on the DRebel was to stop the lens down for the same effect)... :?
Iactually doubt that quite a lot NHL. I get the impression fporch knows enough to distinguish between "soft" and out of focus due todepth of field. BTW, on the dOF question Iuse an A2 (with an 8.8mm sensor) and I don't see a huge difference betweenits depth of field and my OM2.You still have to focus an A2 dead accurately or it'll be blurred. And when it comes to macro shots the DOF isno different on small sensor cameras than large.

Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 7:27 PM   #14

David - I use a Lexar firewire card-reader, the Olympus software opens the entire card (which I shoot in RAW) very quickly. My wait time from photo to photo is maybe about 5 or 6 seconds. I then convert to 8-channel RGB files, save to TIFF - which are 14.1 MB - not sure I would want larger files due to storage (I use an Apple G5). I find this process very easy and I do recommend RAW format - its possible to change most of the in-camera settings, I use the exposure and WB the most.

NHL & Tech - I usually bracket, so I don't believe stopping down was the problem. I have a good eye for DOF, it's one of the characteristics I look for in just about every photo I take. It is possible I was doing something else not as well with the DRebel, but I shoot the same way with the E-1 with much better results. Like I said, I guess I'm just an Olympus guy.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:50 PM   #15

so how does this actually compare with the D70? most of these posts have been going back & forth between Canon & Olympus. i just know the d70 is HOT right now and going like hotcakes... what about the Pentax *st Digital cam? how does that compare?

i know the olympus is generally more expensive than the d70/10d. what would you say to a pricedrop on the olympus to where it competes with the d70 and 10d in pricing/value?
jplee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 8:01 PM   #16
NHL

May be I'm too far out this time... but one should consider cameras like film. You buy into a lens systems, and hope that next year digital "emulsion" is somewhat better and always in constant state of flux!

They are all good cameras otherwise :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:27 PM   #17

Remember - hind sight can be blind sight!:? Find a camera you like, learn how to use it and aim to get at least really one outstanding photo a week!
Old Oct 17, 2004, 9:20 AM   #18

Hey David,

All 3 will give you excellent images. That said, I bought my E-1 mainly for the following reasons-

- Weather sealing
- 100% viewfinder
- Built like a tank

All features available in N/C's pro line of SLR's, but not on their "Pro-sumer" line....

As for enlargements, I've donethree 16x20's and numerous 11x14and8x10's, they all look great. I shoot Raw+JPEG and use Raw files converted to TIFF for enlargements.

Contrary to a post in this thread the aspect ratioof the E-1 is better suited for "Classic" sized enlargements than the N/C because less of the sensor is wasted.

Example - 8x10 & 16x20 youcrop out 7% of the sensor field with an E-1 (4.65MP), compared to 20% lose on N/C (4.80MP), basically same amount of pixels are actually used..... and 11x14 E-1 loses 5% (4.75MP) compared to 18% with N/C (4.92MP)

If you want to print odd sizes (legacy 3:2 ratio) like a 8x12,11x16.5, 13x19 (???) then the Nikon or Canon are your best bets.

Regards,

Tony

http://www.myfourthirds.com/user.php?id=579&page=user_images
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 2:42 PM   #19

hi there. Its important that you mentioned the fact you shhot landscapes because the e-1 is not ideally suited to this. This is due to the fact that the image sensor is small by dslr standards giving a 2x magnification factor on its lenses. This means that to get and ultrawide angle you will pay a premium. In fact, all the four thirds system lenses seem expensive compared to nikon/canon equivilents.

Olympus has also just announced the e300 (i think) and that is 8mp. This could mean a drop in price for the e-1.

I would personally suggest the d70. It has a smaller lens multiplication factor so is better suited to landscapes and of course is compatible with the nikkor lens range which is far stronger than the 4/3rds system at the moment.

That said the 10d would also be a good bet becaues plenty of people are selling them cheaply and also second hand because of the 20d.

I would say that despite being a great camera, the e-1 is least well suited to your needs.

Hope that helped

gdebasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 3:46 PM   #20

The E-300, however, is not weather tight - an important consideration if you are outdoors a lot like I am. My E-1 has been subjected to sudden dust storms and rain - I'm glad this camera was so well sealed. I expect we'll see the next generation E-1 with the 8 mp processor. So far as the size of the processor, I get nice landscape shots, but if its a stretchI take two shots and join in photo merge.