Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2004, 4:34 PM   #1

Camera was working fine. Shot 20 or so images of various items. On last shot the shutter released and the photo came out, but the viewfinder stayed dark, and when I turned on the display it also was dark. Camera shows 6 shots left on the card. Can view the shots on the card in the display. Have switched the viewfinder light-blocking switch (keeps ambient light out when shooting with remote)off and on several times. Powered down, removed batteries. Don't know what to do. Can't get it to show anything. Something stuck maybe? Any advice is helpful.
thanks
char74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:31 AM   #2

Never having used that camera, I can't say as far as the model, but what is happening sounds like the lens aperture is stuck closed down. I have seen that happen before, and the viewfinder of the camera look just like you described. Super dark, but you can see the metering text.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:59 PM   #3

Hello - I am having the same exact problem with our E-10. Were you finally able to fix it yourself or did you have to send it out for repair. What was your final solution.

Thanks in advance - I just don't want to send it out for repair if it's just something simple

randy bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:22 PM   #4

I had the same problem too.I brought it to the local distributor for repair and luckily they were able to repair it. They charged me $ 100.00 for the repair. According to them in other countries ( I' from Manila, Philippines) they don't repair the lens and they just replace it. Cost of lens replacement $600.00 (here in Manila).
dadikongbaduy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:16 AM   #5

I talked to my local distributor and Olympus US tech support and they all said I needed to send it in at a cost of approx $200.00 plus shipping.
I've been meaning to send it in ever since, but haven't yet. I'm interested to find out whether other folks in the US have been able to resolve this issue.
Sounds like I need to go to Manila and get that $100 repair. Worth the vacation. *grin*

Thanks for your responses. I'll post again when I send it in. They said they wouldn't charge me if they couldn't fix it. I better hurry though, because eventually they'll stop servicing these cameras or run out of spare parts that are any good.
char74 is offline   Reply With Quote