Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:21 AM   #1

:?I notice in the Basic Manual of the E-20 that RAW, TIFF,SHQ, AND HQ equal the same 2560x1920 pixels. What is the relationship? If RAW for example produces the same quality as HQ, why would you use RAW which takes up more memory on the media card?

Lou III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:05 AM   #2

That's the key, it doesn't produce the same quality...it does however produce the same "resolution" (2560x1920)...the difference is what's done to the image before saving.

- RAW, just saves the raw data from the CCD without any in-camera processing.
- TIFF, processes the image depending on your camera's settings (white balance, etc.), but does no compression of the image.
- SHQ, does the same in-camera processing like TIFF, but the image is saved as a JPG with light compression.
- HQ, same as SHQ except the JPG compression is higher so you get a smaller file with less quality.

Here's a "general" example of what compression does to an image (this is not related to any camera or software package, for example only):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...ompression.jpg
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:30 PM   #3

Thanks, that answered my question
Lou III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:53 PM   #4

Also, in RAW, with most camera software, you can change many of your in-camera settings if you didn't get thesettingsperfect - it's like having a chance to take the photo over again. I most often make changes to the exposure and WB, and occasionally on the noise filter and sharpness in my E-1 software. I actually salvaged an action photo with a 4stop change that came out great - I was very surprised, but pleased.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote