Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 18, 2002, 6:17 AM   #1

Default What buffer?!?!?

I have my new E-20 with the Micro drive and have discovered the problem of taking a few shots then having to wait MUCH TO LONG in order for the buffer to clear. The bigger the format the slower it writes. I had planned to use the TIFF format for my underwater shots and can see I will have to be VERY patient and hope nothing fabulous swims by in the meantime. Does any one know if moving to the polymer battery setup increases the speed at which the buffer writes to the disk?
-Jennifer
jwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2002, 6:41 AM   #2

Hi Jen,

Congrats again on your E-20 purchase. I think you don't need to shoot in TIFF because the file is too large and will take some time to compress the shot. For uw I think HQ is sufficinet enough.

The polymer battery is great to have because it definitely last than rechargeable NiCad. One charge on the polymer battery will give you about 500 to 700 shots. The problem is I don't think there's no housing for the E20 that will accept the vertical grip. Hope this helps.

Allan
underwaterdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 9:33 AM   #3

I suppose I take a different view, but to answer your question, the batteries have no effect on write times. The E-xx buffer issues have been beat to death in other forums, and it's a limitation that you have to live with if you keep this camera.

One of the primary reasons for choosing the Microdrive is capacity. I plan to shoot in RAW mode (10mb files). With the 1GB drive, I can bring back 100 shots/dive, and I download after every dive anyway.

RAW write time is 17 sec and the buffer will hold 3 shots. Granted there are times when you may want to shoot sequential shots faster than that, but for the most part they are rare (for me at least).

Just my 2 worth...
Tio Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 9:47 PM   #4

Quote:
I think you don't need to shoot in TIFF because the file is too large and will take some time to compress the shot.
The TIFF is uncompressed, as it is stored in the camera, but it still takes a long time to store 15 megabytes! I agree with Allan that one of the JPEG formats should give you sufficient quality and will save memory and storage time.[/quote]
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote