Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:57 AM   #21

Steve,

Thanks for the E-3300 review. I am only a little unhappy about the sample pictures. The usual outdoor shots are missing. Is there still a chance of having those added?

Best Regards, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:19 AM   #22
Administrator

The E-300 review is still in First Look status and will be finalized in the next week or so. At that time we'll add the conclusion and a full set of sample photos including our usual outdoor shots and such. Since the beginning of December we have been swamped with dSLR cameras and each one requires a lot of time to properly evaluate. We're still working on the Canon 1Ds Mark II, Olympus E-300 and we just got the Fuji S3 Pro. And it's only a month until PMA 2005 and we start all over again with another batch of new cameras from all of the makers ...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:19 AM   #23

Thanks again, Steve,

I am impressed by the sheer number of reviews you provide for your readers, anyway. What a great job!

Cheers, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:49 AM   #24

I'll test it...Will be down..soon as I get my butt out this Ohio snow!...Have a place over on 43 rd...Street....
pat903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:36 AM   #25
Administrator

Full review has now been posted - sorry it took so long but we've been incredibly busy ...
Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:58 AM   #26

Hi Steve!

I sent an E-mail to you, Carl sent a reply to my E-mail, but there is no real answer to my statement in it.

from your E-300 review:

"Like its big brother the E-1, the E-300 imposes a 2x crop factor on its attached lenses"

from your E-1 review:

"the E-1's image sensor size results in a 50% crop factor"

The E-1 or E-300 NOT have CROP factor!!! The 4/3 system is a new system, don't compare to 35mm system. To get the 35mm equivalent focal legth, use the focal length multiplier (2x). It's OK. I know, that their effects are the same. It's OK too. But if you use the word "crop", you not respect the work of engineers.

Read the manual of E-300. There isn't the word "crop" in it. Olympus consciously not uses this word.

See the Zuiko digital lenses MTF charts! The size of radius is 11mm (diagonal about 22mm)! The diagonal of 18mm x 13,5mm sensor is 22,5mm too. The E-300 captured frame size, and the NOMINAL picture size of Zuiko digital lenses are same.

I know, the other companies makes lenses for digital camera (EF-S, DX), but the 4/3 system is a new, clear, fully digital system, respect this!

Thank you.
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:29 AM   #27

When I say "radius" I think of maximum distance from center of image on the MTF charts.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:38 PM   #28
Administrator

I agree with you and have changed the text of the E-300 conclusion accordingly. Carl's choice of the word "crop" was incorrect, it is a 2x focal length multiplier when compared to 35mm focal lengths.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 4:18 PM   #29

Hi Steve.

Thank you for your reaction!

Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:13 AM   #30

Hi Steve.

Hold fast on the E-300. The new E-500 is due on the market from the first of next month.

Among the features of the "500" are the fact that it has on-board slots for both Compact Flash/Microdrive AND xD.

Also Olympus have gone back to the top mounted Pentaprism instead of the Porro Finder of the E-300.

It uses the same 8MPix Frame Transfer CCD as the 300 with the ultasound dust eliminator built in as standard.

The E-500 also has a fiber reinforced polycarbonate body which is both light and extremely strong.

Takes the same lens program as the other E professional series cameras (Zuiko) and the same range of accessories.

:|

Bob Austen
parkwoodmm is offline   Reply With Quote