Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:54 AM   #1

A year ago, I bought an Olympus E1.

I'm ready to give it away. It's overpriced and underperforming. The Olympus website doesn't even work to send them an e-mail to get support, and if you call them, their phone system doesn't work. Now, I'm not surprised that my E1 consistently underexposes or that I can't use slave triggers on my fancy Olympus flashes. It's a whole system that just doesn't perform. Yup, I'm pretty frustrated, and I'm using this opportunity to vent, but I don't think I'll be buying any more Olympus products.

Olympus: you want to contact me, please do, [email protected]
Glacis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:53 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your woes.

You may want to try Ebay.

The fact that Olympus does NOT honor its E-series extended Warranties for the E-1 nor do they even offer a different extended warranty for the E-1 speaks volumes, very sadly, about the company.

They "present" to this forum member both an arrogance and an indifference to those who "pay their mortgage", i.e., their customers.

It is a sad turn of events.

I have an Oly dig cam which performs well but I would not buy another Olympus dig cam until Olympus "cleans house" and "gets religion" about its customers.

Two cents.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3

I must say I have had an E-10 for about 2-1/2 years, and it has worked well for me. But I also have been frustrated with support. I have a D-70, and I also must say the Olympus manual is much easier to comprehend then the D-70.So if had not been for the manual and the CD, i probably would still be trying to figure out this camera. One good thing that has transpired from my Olympus affiliation and that is my 440 printer.Its amazing how this technology continue to wash each others hands at a rapid pace.
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 3:30 PM   #4

how much do you want ?

perhaps you need to take digital workshops 101 and learn to use the camera properly, what problems would you like help with ?
pongop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:37 PM   #5

Glacis

That seems a little strange becausemy E-1 underexposes maybe 10% of the time. Frankly I've never considered it a problem because I'd rather have a slightly underexposedphoto than blown highlights any day.

You can use almost any professional lighting system through the pc sync terminal and proper set up.

Its also funny you mention OLy service because every email I've sent(available 24/7 on their web site)has been answered within 24 hrs.~ every time.

Check out the responsibity tab on your menu.

digcamfan

You have an OLy digicam that performs well......... so STFU... nuff said.

Roadart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:20 AM   #6

Hi RoadArt...

Yes, the E20 I own is a great digital camera and works well.

For a while, Olympus honored it E-series two-year warranty on its new flagship digcamera, the E-1.

Now, they no longer do so. This forum member is surprised that they have no extended warranty on the E-1.

A few forum members, notably Fporch, has posted some truly amazing photos from the E-1. The quality ofthe photos is there, especially sharpness and color saturation.

There is no question the E-1 takes great photos.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 6:19 PM   #7

Hello all. I am amazed at this post for several reasons. Firstly, just to qualify me; I am a freelance professional photographer, and have been working for fifteen years, eight of which were in NYC.

I have been shooting with the E1 system for over a year now, and I'll never go back to Nikon. What a great system! Even at only five megapixels, we frequently run full-page editorial shots which look fabulous.

As to pro service, I discovered a software glitch in Studio when I first got the camera, and was planning on a week-long location shoot with my new equipment. I was able to reach the head of the U.S. pro department, (OGPS), on the telephone in five minutes. We discussed the issue. He flew in an Olympus software engineer from Tokyo who wrote me a patch. It was sent via FedEx to me within a few days from my first call. Now I never had that kind of support in my fifteen years of using Nikon!

To those considering the Olympus E-System: don't hesitate. You'll love it.
GeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 2:23 AM   #8

I have been using Olympus since the 2500 days and now I have the E-1 and find it to be dead on with color and exposure .
Olympus has also been great with customer service over the years.
I highy recommend the system .
Image from last week
Attached Images

mik2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:28 AM   #9

Hi: Since you are ready to give away your E-1, let me give you my shipping address and you can send it to me. It will go well with my 4 other Olympus digitals.

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences. Your comments areunusual. I have found the quality and the service of Olympus easily to be above the rest.:!:
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote