Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2004, 2:51 AM   #1

I am wondering if any of you know where the E-300 will be manufactured. According to pictures, the it says "Made in China" under the stock lens. I am wondering if this applies to the body as well. As most of us know, Canon's Digital Rebel is made in China and is made with a, what I would call cheap, plastic casing to bring prices to a minimum (yet it is able to use Canon's renown lenses). I believe Olympus to have better build quality but are these (the camera itself) being made in Japan? I don't know . . I just tend to trust Japanese products instead of China where things are *often* (not always) cheaply made. Also, are the higher end lens being made in China to cut costs too? Just wondering . .
phongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:10 PM   #2

I did call and email Olympus about the exact same question. Some moron at Olympus sent me an email that said "All Olympus Products are made in the USA". In response to that nonsense, I called up Olympus and stirred up some trouble there. No one really knew the answer. Finally someone said that the body is made in Japan, while some (not all) of the Zuiko lenses are made in China.

This might have some credibility. If you read the press release of last month on dpreview. Olympus said that they are having a lot of financial difficulties due to low demand. They also stated that most of their products are made by Sanyo and other OEMs in China and that they were planning to move more production in house to improve quality. This might explain why some of their newer products like the C7000 is made in Japan.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:15 AM   #3

does it really matter where the E300 is made ? it will still be olympus quality, im sure the lenses sold with the body will be a lower grade zuiko though, simular to the cheap lenses sold with the rebel or D70 competition bodies, great thing is you can always upgrade, also i think the CCD is the same as the E1 with 8 mega pixels instead of 5, which would still give the E1 a better dynamic range, it will be interesting to see print comparisons at 11 x 14 size.

not sure if i like the look yet, do not like the viewfinder configuration using all those mirrors ? what is wrong with a bump in the top of a camera anyway and why did they feel the need to remove it i wonder.
pongop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:57 AM   #4

It does matter about where the Oly cameras are made. With Olympus customer service being so non-existence its actually a misnomer. So the only warranty we have when we buy Olympus products is that it is made well.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote