Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:11 PM   #1
wll

I have posted before and I'm the happy owner of a Nikon 4500, and a 8400, I'm now looking to go DSLR.

I love the size of the E-300 body, and the lens choices are fine, BUT .... all the photos I've seen seem to be flat and/or not sharp, they do not "POP" like a Canon or Nikon !!!

Is it just me or have others found the same ?

The Olympus E-300 brochure has no tack sharp images, just action/moving shots, this tells me the lenses may not be up to the competition.

Like I said, I want to like the camera and I like lens combos, but if they are not sharp, its Canon or Nikon.

Bill
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:02 PM   #2
wll

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...11/26/517.html

I just went to the above site and viewed a series of soft photos!!!!!

I hope I'm missing something cause Oly makes fine equipment.

Are Oly lenses soft on purpose for effect or maybe all Oly dslr photos need sharpening, if so I can understand that, as it would be by design and that answeres my concerns. I run all my keepers thru Photoshop so thats no big deal.

Thank You again,

Bill

Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:55 PM   #3
Administrator

Anybody coming from the consumer digicam world and then comparing dSLR photos always say that they look soft. All of the E300 samples I have posted so far were taken at default sharpening. Note that consumer digicams are by default a lot sharper and more contrasty than dSLRs. dSLRs have a low-pass filter in front of the image sensor and these anti-aliasing filters tend to soften the image. All dSLR users are used to their images needing a little sharpening and apply what's necessary after capture.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:57 PM   #4

Steve speaks correctly. I have an Oly E-1 and sharpen most of my photos in post production. The software that come with my E-1 does a agreat job in RAW editor.myfourthirds.com is dedicated to "all" the 4/3's format cameras and EVOLT images are just starting to show up. These shots do not look soft to me.....
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:32 PM   #5

Forgive me challenging comments from 'the experts' but when I'vecompared the image from outside the school at Steve's sample pages, the Nikon D70 is very much sharper to my eyes than the Nikon 8800; the 8800 NEF shot almost matched that of the D70 which is the order that I would expect to find things.

Shots that I've seenfrom thethe Pentax *ist are disappointing being too soft and preclude it from inclusion on my list of possibilities.

There are comparatively few images thus far fro the E300 BUT there's no way that I'm going to include this camera on my shopping list unless the results are sharp.

If I'm going to payclose to UK£1000 on a camera, then the image has gotta be up to scratch - I'm not going to accept second best & if that means giving some DSLRs a wide berth, then so be it.

UPDATE
Well, I'd better eat my words 'cause I just bought the *ist DS.

I'd become totally disillusioned with prosumer cameras & chose the *ist DS over the E300 as it's the smallest of dSRLs with the usable ISOcapable of being pushed to 1600 (even 3200).

So far I've been very pleased with the performance & results that I've shot.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:27 PM   #6

Steve is right. There also may be another factor at work here. Traditionally Zuiko lenses were not as contrasty as their Nikkor competitors. When the OM system first came out, it was said that Maitani was striving for a more natural look similar to the images produced by Leicas. This changed a bit over time as most of the OM Zuikos became muti-coated. But perhaps Olympus is trying for the same look with their new Zuikos. If so, I applaud them.

Way back when I first got an OM camera my brother had a Nikon. I used to think his shots looked better than mine. In fact they were simply more contrasty and resulted in darker and maybe more yellowy shots. They did not have better resolution. When you really looked at them the Zuikos produced the more real and natural result.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:16 AM   #7

"
Carlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:22 AM   #8

"Anybody coming from the consumer digicam world and then comparing dSLR photos always say that they look soft. All of the E300 samples I have posted so far were taken at default sharpening. Note that consumer digicams are by default a lot sharper and more contrasty than dSLRs. dSLRs have a low-pass filter in front of the image sensor and these anti-aliasing filters tend to soften the image. All dSLR users are used to their images needing a little sharpening and apply what's necessary after capture."

Thanks Steve. You have put my worries to rest.

I bought an E-300 and have been through mixed emotions as whether I made the right decision. There is so much discussion and comparisons, even with the 20D which is a camera/lens at least double the price of the E-300…

I remember a friend who bought a Canon 10D, and was profoundly disappointed with the picture quality, to the point of asking for a replacement.

He is a professional world photographer.

Indeed DSLR's seem to be softer, and it's a disappointment after operating a few Point & Shoot cameras. I studied and repaired many types of professional video cameras, and this interest took me to study my own early consumer video camera. I found that, as Steve said, they are peaked up (resolution) and the gammas and black levels are crushed, to give the impression of a "sharper" pictures. In fact, they were not any sharper. In the E-300 the gamma adjustment is called "Gradation".

My photographer friend also told me that people buy expensive camera and even more expensive accessories, expecting to get pictures matching that level. Well, we all know that equipment price and picture quality are only loosely linked.

I have decided to concentrate more on what is in front of the lens rather than behind it, and use better what is above the camera (my eyes). And further, to understand better the post-production software available to me to improve the "keepers".

I have done a number of tests to decide what to use, in terms of raw or jpeg. I used resolution charts and real pictures, with or without flash, and more. I found that unquestionably raw brings out the full potential of the E-300 resolution. To do otherwise would be wasting my investment. However, I would still like Olympus to take out some of their excessive noise filtering. I don't have a big problem with noise; I do with artificially lowered resolution.

Carlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 5:00 AM   #9

If you want to see some of what the E-series can do, check out these sites:
http://www.myfourthirds.com
http://homepage.mac.com/lsippu/PhotoAlbum43.html
and the pro galleries:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/gallery.asp
This last one is on the olympus Japan site, but you should be able to navigate to the pictures ok.
http://www.olympus-esystem.jp/pro/

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:56 PM   #10
wll

The E1 is a very good camera, the E-300 is what we are talking about. IMHO it is not up to snuff.

Bill