Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:11 PM   #1

I'm really a 35mm camera person, but for work I've been forced to go digital, posting pictures on the web, started many years ago with a Olympus D600L, have been using a C2500l - AND TODAY i RECEIVED MY NEW e20. NOW i KNOW IT IS NOT THE NEWEST AND COOLEST, BUT I'm self employed and on a budget. I photograph small items, pocket knives, pins and the like. Edit in photoshop, I bought a lighting setup with a cocoons and a light on each side. With the C2500L, I would have to to do an auto level, then futz around with the curves, and finally would get a picture that would look like the item I photographed. Now I've set up the e20, set it on close up, did a white balance check, and when I open the file in Photoshop I still have to do the auto levels! Because it is a studio setting, camera in this big white plastic cocoon, should I fool with the ISO settings, and should I leave the WB on auto? Would love to talk to anyone who has used this camera - thanks

this is a picture of the kind of stuff I have to take pictures of

35miltodigital

Attached Images

35miltodigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2005, 8:35 PM   #2

I did own an E-20N, it was a great camera. It has a White Balance that will allow you to take a photo of a white card in your studio light andE-20 will balance for you. Please take a few more minutes to read your manual.
Gremlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:19 PM   #3

35miltodigital wrote:
Quote:
...AND TODAY i RECEIVED MY NEW e20. NOW i KNOW IT IS NOT THE NEWEST AND COOLEST, BUT
Newest doesn't equal coolest. Coolest equals a person who knows how to get the best out of any camera. I've been shootin' with an e10 for the past three years and love it. Easily shot 50,000 images with it so far and its been a helluva' trooper.

As for lighting and white balance issues - those are variables that are best answered with your own experimentation. Definitely refer to your manual for general guidelines...but also spend time doing some experimental shots as well. I generally find the preset white balances are close enough much of the time for accuracy (at least close enough that they only require some minor tweaking in photostyler).

S.K.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:59 PM   #4

I do love the Camera, but close up shots and reflecting metal are enough to send someone to drink! I've experimented with the white balance and seem to have it set - however I still have to fuss with the pictures in photoshop, especially the curve balance, always pushing it lighter, I did have trouble using a polorized filter when I was shooting a carraige driving event a few weeks ago, doesn't help that I'm severly nearsighted as well :G
35miltodigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:06 PM   #5

Even though the e10 shoots a mighty fine pic - I still fuss with many of my images in the photo editor...simply because I enjoy tweaking them. I enjoy the challenge of improving an image in the post-edit and sometimes turning an otherwise blah shot in to something very worthwhile.

S.K.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:18 PM   #6
TJM

You may want to try shooting RAW since it is easer to correct WB errors. You said that most of your shots are underexposed so why not bump up the EV a little? Lastly, did you use a linear polarizer from your 35mm? On a digital camera you need a circular polarizer for the auto focus to work correctly.

35miltodigital wrote:
Quote:
I do love the Camera, but close up shots and reflecting metal are enough to send someone to drink! I've experimented with the white balance and seem to have it set - however I still have to fuss with the pictures in photoshop, especially the curve balance, always pushing it lighter, I did have trouble using a polorized filter when I was shooting a carraige driving event a few weeks ago, doesn't help that I'm severly nearsighted as well :G
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote