Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:12 PM   #1

I was wondering why Olympus have not chosen to use xD cards on their dSLR models?

My first digital camera was a D540, and I have spare xD cards for it. It's now time to make the move to a dSLR and I hoped to be able to use the xD cards - but I have been surprised to see that not one Olympus dSLR available for sale where I live accepts Olympus' own xD cards. It's a shame that, not only are all the cards I have of very limited use, I am forced to buy another set of cards in a different medium.
Wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 8:58 PM   #2
Administrator

Check out this solution:

Olympus MACF-10 Memory Adapter

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:13 PM   #3

I too wish that xD cards would be supported natively by Olympus' dslr models as I have a 256 and 512mb xD cards from my other camera. I do understand why they aren't as they tend to be on the slow side of things (somewhere around the 10-12x write speed I think). It just would have been nice if they popped an xD slot into especially the e-300 as its a consumer level dslr as a secondary memory storage source like how some dslr's have both CF and SD slots. It would most likely please alot of current Oly camera owners knowing that if and when they move up to an Oly dslr like the e-300 that a large memory card wouldn't be needed right away as they could use their current stock of xD cards. Why Oly doesn't make it easier to move up the camera model ladder I don't understand especially when the C8080 has both an xD and CF slot.

I have seen the Olympus MACF-10 Memory Adapteras well... but considering it runs almost the same cost locally for me as a 1gb CF card it just doesn't make financial sence so bother with it..... which is to bad.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:08 PM   #4

xD so far has fallen short on promise in capacity. with the output files of of the E1 averaging in the 10MB neighborhood cf is the only format that will currently quench the capacity thirst of this beast. if you switch on the raw+jpg you get a 15MB hole punched in your card.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:11 AM   #5
Administrator

Even Olympus knows that their xD-Picture cards are dogs when it comes to read / write speeds and lacking in capacity. Thankfully the high-speed CF cards have never been less expensive with so many cameras going to the SD format there is a glut of great CF card deals out there. When transfering data from xD cards using a USB 2.0 card reader - it is rediculous how slow they are when compared to 32x or faster CF or SD cards.Olympus wouldn't want to slow the performance of theirdSLR by using the xD media so thankfully they went with the faster CF interface !

Fuji gives you a choice - they put both CF2 and xD slots on the S3 Pro.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:01 AM   #6

steve wrote:
Quote:
Even Olympus knows that their xD-Picture cards are dogs when it comes to read / write speeds and lacking in capacity.
How true. The xD card is barely tolerable on the C-7xx series (given that it's got such a compromised set of specs to begin with), but on an dSLR no one would settle for that kind of slow-speed performance.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:36 AM   #7

I don't think that anyone would expect or wanted an xD interface as the only option on a dslr. I just think from a marketing point of view it may have been in Oly's best interest to include it on the e-300 since its basically their gateway model in the world of dslr models. Offering the feature is just another check mark for potential buyers to click off.

Quote:
Will the camera be able to use the memory cards I have already purchased for my current Oly camera (C-xxx series)?
Being able to answer yes to that could be a deciding factor for alot of people as to which brand of dslr people move up to in my opinion.

xD speed definately does suck, and their is no way I would trade inthe 1gb 80x lexar I use in my E-1 for a 1gb xD card. But when im out on a road trip for a while and load my CF card full it would have been nice to have the option to use an xD card as a backup option raither than having to head on home.One just has to look at the excellent C-8080 which offers both a CF slot as well as xD. It makes me wonder why the E-300 (which some even call the C-8090 since they seem fairly close both in price and market segment) doesn't have an xD/CF arrangement like the C-8080.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 3:55 PM   #8

xD media because of its tiny size should always be a NO-GO on a D-SLR.

When you thrown in limited speed and capacity it is a no brainer.

Had an Olympus Stylus 300 for a short time for a unique porpoise but the xD media I found to be so small as to be unwieldy.

Also, did not like getting my fingerprints on the contacts!

Yes, I could have gone the USB route but once a Sandisk 8-in-1 reader kinda guy...

Always a reader kinda guy

On the other hand...every dig cam or at least high end prosumer/DSLR could have a built in 8-in-1 media reader!

I love the fact that if I inadvertently leave CF at home with none in my E-20, then the 128 mb smart media still is there
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:26 AM   #9
Administrator

FWIW, I've seen one test of a Fuji S3 Pro, where xD Picturecard outperformed CompactFlash (~ 3.8 mb/second for the xD Picturecard, and around 2.1 mb/second for the fastest CompactFlash tested).

But, that's because the interface was optimized for xD Picturecard, since the same CompactFlash cardstested in this Fuji were significantly faster in some other camera models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:04 PM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
FWIW, I've seen one test of a Fuji S3 Pro, where xD Picturecard outperformed CompactFlash (~ 3.8 mb/second for the xD Picturecard, and around 2.1 mb/second for the fastest CompactFlash tested).

But, that's because the interface was optimized for xD Picturecard, since the same CompactFlash cardstested in this Fuji were significantly faster in some other camera models.

If the CF card is 2.1Mb/s, then it is a 14x speed, and the xD is a 25x speed.

CF comes in speeds all the way up to 133x, or about 20Mb/s. Even the cheaper ones are 60x these days.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote