Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:38 PM   #1

Default 1.33 firmware and noticeable improvement

I got my E-10 back from Olympus and immediatly checked to see what firmware had been put in:

With the camera off, remove all media from the camera, leaving the drive bay open. Now hold down the exposure compensation button and the image quality button (the one you use to change resolution or compression, or both) and turn the camera on. On the LCD screen it should tell you exactly what firmware you have on your E-10 or E-20.

At first I didn't notice any performance difference, focus speed was still the same, exposure didn't seem any different, color was the same, except one thing: formatting the media! It used to take 6 seconds to format my compactflashes, now it takes less than 3 seconds to do so!! I tried it with my other CF's and the result was still the same. Wonder if it was just a firmware thing, or if the new circuitry installed in my E-10 made a significant difference... if so, it should've sped up write speed, but I didn't notice any improvements in that department, still the same old 600KB/s write speed. Has anyone who had an E-10 with 1.30 firmware or older recently had new firmware put into their camera? Did you notice this as well?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2002, 1:06 AM   #2

Alberto,
Are you sure this works on the E20? I followed your directions, and I just get a flashing "0" on the LCD and a message on the Monitor that says "drive door open".
The buttons I held down were the Record Mode button and the Exposure Compensation button. Is that right?
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 7:37 PM   #3

Oops, forgot you have to have the main dial set to playback, then you press those two buttons :P
Old Dec 4, 2002, 7:54 PM   #4

OH, OK. I'll give it a try.
Well, Alberto, I tried it with the Mode switch in Playback...same thing.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 8:09 PM   #5

you are pressing the right buttons... maybe on the E-20 is different? But in any event, whatever firmware is on your E-20 it should have the same goodies from my E-10, and then some :P
Old Dec 5, 2002, 12:21 AM   #6

Alberto,
How did you find out about the procedure for displaying firmware version number? Maybe I should just contact Oly Tech Support...if they'll tell me. The reason I am interested is that I bought my camera used...as you probably remember, and it's about a year old, so it may very well have an early version. I'll ask the guy I bought it from...he's a friend.
Anyway, I'm just curious. I learned how to do it on the Nikon...although I don't remember how now. They told me on the website, I think, where the downloads were.
Anyway, thanks. And yeah, I'm pretty sure I was holding down the buttons correctly.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 5:29 PM   #7

Bert, I heard it on another forum (DPreview), but you can try this freware utility that reads the exif info from your images. It should tell you the firmware version of your camera:
http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/min...fread/english/

It tells all the exposure data as well. It's a pretty good and fast utility, and besides, it's free
Old Dec 5, 2002, 9:08 PM   #8

Alberto,
Thanks. I downloaded it.
BTW, I asked the guy I bought the camera from...he said as far as he knew, there was no update to the E20 firmware...and he's a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Bert
Old Dec 5, 2002, 9:35 PM   #9

Bert, the E-10 and E-20 have different versions of firmware and go by a different numbering system. where the E-10 is something like 42-120 or 42-133, the E-20 is something else, I forgot how it went... :P As far as I know too there aren't any new firmwares for the E-20
Old Dec 5, 2002, 10:09 PM   #10

Thanks, Alberto. I appreciate your help.