Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:57 AM   #1

I'm thinking about a dSRL. I've narrowed it down to all of then under $1000! :-) So basically, I'm looking at the Rebel XT (maybe the original rebel), the *ist DS, the D70, and the e-Volt. So far here's my take:

All the cameras are good, and I imagine that I will be happy with any of them. They all have more features than I will probably use, but I do want to try some new things and have a camera that will make that easier.

The Rebel: Pro: Inexpensive. IS lens. Con: relatively slow to start.
Rebel XT: Pro: Small. IS lens.
*ist DS: Pro Small
D70: Pro Good build quality. Con: huge body. Expensive VR lens, but at lease they are there.
E-Volt: Pro Dust Removal. Con: Limited lens choice.

So all you Olympus fans, why should I upgrade by C-750UZ and get an E-Volt over the Rebel XT?

Thanks,

Allan
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:15 AM   #2

allanmarcus wrote:
Quote:
So all you Olympus fans, why should I upgrade by C-750UZ and get an E-Volt over the Rebel XT?
I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Oly fan (I used mostly Nikon film-SLR stuff), but I've had two Oly digicams and like them both (C-1400LX and C-755UZ), and I'm also attracted to the E-300, so part of what I say here is an attempt at convincing myself . . .

Maybe the dust removal system isn't that big a deal--some people claim they've never had dust on their sensors. Then again, I've read sufficient messages from other people who think it's a serious issue to make me wonder. Pixel mapping is another Oly feature that I like. Whatever the future brings, the 4/3 takes excellent pictures; the Oly 14-54mm standard zoom (not the kit lens) is inferior to none in performance, and there are sufficient lenses in the other ranges that will satisfy me, if and when I take the upgrade path. If you're a heavy sports photographer, then obviously Canon has that field pretty well sewn up, and I think the Rebel Xt is a sweet camera (from limited handling in the store), but I seriously doubt it (or the D70) will produce better images for the type of photography I do. I doubt any of these camera designs will be around for that long, anyway, given tech turnover, so it's probably a mistake to look at the purchase as a true long-term investment.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:26 AM   #3

After reading Steve's review, I'm going to stay clear of the e-volt. noise at 400 IOS, poor focusing performance, and only 3 focus zones al sounds bad.

Rapid and better auto focus is my personal main concern, and since there are better cameras out there now (pentax, canon and nikon) for the money, I will look there. Although is it good to see the Olympus compete on price ($750 for the camera and lens kit is a great deal.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:24 AM   #4

I'd say the dust removal is a nice add-on, but it would not be a selling point for me. While dust does happen, it is not that difficult to clean off.

You keep mentioning that small size is a pro :-), how big are your hands? I found the 20D to be a bit too small for me to hold comfortably without the add-on battery grip. If you can go to a shop and handle the bodies with a lens attached to see how they feel to you.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:03 PM   #5

from the end of my thumb to the end my middle finger is 8.5 inches, so I think I have moderately small hands for a man (but size isn't important, right? :-)

Weight is also important. Even a couple of ounces can get tiring after carrying a camera around on a hike all day.