Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 10, 2005, 1:52 AM   #1

Just curious, does anyone know what the cause is of the higher ISO noise problem.

Is it a design flaw or something that can be fixed with the proper firmware update (if Olympus should ever make such an update)?

Thanks,

TheRayBan
TheRayBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:15 AM   #2

I would love to know the same thing.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Rob
neekak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:39 PM   #3
Administrator

It isn't a "problem" it is just a fact of life with imagers in general. The signal to noise ratio is increased as the sensitivity is increased. The dSLR cameras with their much physically larger imagers handle higher ISO speeds better than the consumer digicams with their tiny imagers but they all suffer from the same physics.

And the same thing happens with film too - high speed film is much grainier than lower speed films.

There are a number of post-processing utilities that help you soften and eliminate the high ISO noise in digital images. See my Digicam Software page and check out NoiseNinja orNeatImage - I'm sure someone will also recommend others which I cannot remember at the moment.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:49 PM   #4

I dont see it as a problem, i just compere it, like Steve says with film, you go up in iso, you get more noise.

But as i have read, there are some who think Olympus is not applying any noise reduktion to the image from the cameras (E1, E300), like Canon, Nikon etc. because they will let the photographer to do the noise reduktion if he/she want to.

Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:32 PM   #5

Thank you Steve and Convoy for your help!

TRB
TheRayBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 7:25 PM   #6

Now that you have mentioned the noise reduction software, how effectively does it work and is it stand alone or a plug-in for other programs such as photoshop?
Thanks!
coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:36 AM   #7

(I'm writing in red since the background of the reply box is black)

programs like Noise Ninja and Neatimage work very well, and provide a high degree of user-choice as to how much noise of what kind of noise you want to remove. I have Neatimage, and both free and $$$ versions work well. You can batch process a whole mess of files to remove noise, using either your own profiles or ones provided at the Neatimage site. It is an extra processing step, but it gives you more control over the work. I've shot quite a bit at ISO1600 with the E-300 and the images clean up very nicely. Depending on your final purposes and the lighting involved, you may not even need or want to use NR software.

(Why is it that the reply box is black, but even tho I input using red, it turns into white-on-black when I upload the message?)

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:02 AM   #8
Administrator

Norm:

A software upgrade to the forums was done yesterday morning, and it looks like it may have caused some issues with the "Shades" board theme using non-IE browsers.

On the plus side, the WYSIWYG editor now works with Firefox (WowBB has been working to make the forums more Firefox compatible).

You may want to use the Default Board Theme for now if you don't want to use IE. It defaults so that the text colors are visible, regardless of the themes others are using.

You can change your Board Theme to Default under My Account, Preferences, Board Theme. Here is a direct link to change it:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/m..._preferences=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:43 AM   #9

Thanks, Jim. Now I can see
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:22 AM   #10

The problem with the E300 is that the 4/3 standard is flowed by way smaller than APS sensor (twice smaller).
So Nikon and Canon rulz compared to Olympus DSLR.
It's normal to have same noise at 800 than 800 on Canon, provided you have same size photosites, but this is not the case. Canon's are twice bigger since for instance 350D and Olympus E300 have same 8M photosites.
Canon should have 1600 on par with Olympus but the noise isn't linear and it's even worse as photosites become smaller. So the rule is 800 ISO on E300 is the same as or more than 1600 on Canon. In fact the noise on Canon is then easier to remove as it is more uniform.

Olympus E300 sensor is nearer to that of current 8Mpix APN with 2/3 CCD, not even in between.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote