Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:57 PM   #1

Default Biggest compact flash the E-20 can address?

I'm wading through the E-20 manual and I can't seem to find it; how large a capacity of compact flash can the E-20 address?

Also, it's my assumption that it can address 128mb smart media, but if larger capacity smart media is developed, the E-20 could not address any part of it in excess of 128mb. Am I correct?

Joe
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:49 PM   #2

I would think the E-20 could be used with any size compactflash up to the maximum size allowed by the FAT file system, which only recognizes up to 2GB. To go beyond that the camera must support another file system, FAT32, only then can it use the new 3GB CF's for example. The only camera that has that system right now is the Canon 1Ds.

As for smartmedia, the format is dead. There will not be any larger sizes than 128MB, Olympus and Fuji gave up on the format chosing xD to replace it instead. It will be phased out gradually, though 128MB SM will be available for a while.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 8:17 AM   #3

Alberto, thanks,

Joe
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:08 PM   #4

Alberto and Joe,
The E20 manual says "IBM microdrive - 1GB supported"
For Compact Flash, it just says "Types I and II"
Does this mean the limit for CF is 1GB? Maybe. Maybe not.
I'll send Oly Tech Support a question.
Stay tuned.
Bert
PS - I have this nagging thought that I saw a 320 MB limit somewhere...but maybe it was for my CP 950....sure would be nice if MY memory worked as well as the camera's!
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:10 PM   #5

I am pretty sure it will handle 512 mb compact flash.

However, it would be better imho to have two or \
more 256 Compact Flash available.

Redundancy/backup...the hallmarks of Apollo missions
apply here also .

Go w/UltraFlash. It will load faster.

Two cents
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 4:12 PM   #6

Digicamfan,
Thanks for the input. I agree that two 256s is better than one 512. I have a 256 and a 192 now, plus a 1GB IBM MD.
Write time is not a big deal for me. I've been buying the cheapest cards I can find, and they work fine. I saw a 256 CF yesterday for $74, I think. I have seen them as low as $69. If you don't like the price this week, wait 'till next week. Prices kinda stayed up thru the holidays...if you get a new cam for Christmas, you have GOTTA have a card! But now they're dropping again. My E20 also takes SM cards, and I have a bunch of 128MBs. I expect them to get a LOT cheaper pretty soon. SM is going to go away eventually. The 128MB limit dooms them with cam resolutions continuing to climb. Meanwhile...if you're a bargain hunter like me...they work just fine.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:09 PM   #7

I sent a question to Oly Tech Support. This is the response I got:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Olympus Digital Technical Support.

You can use up to 256 F card. And a 1gb midrodrive. You can not use the 512mb microdrive
I found this a little disappointing, that 256MB is the largest CF card we can use in the E10/E20.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:09 PM   #8
NHL

Bert

Quote:
You can not use the 512mb microdrive
Are you sure about this? They are practically the same in every way except size... The 340Mb and the 170Mb(now discontinued) are the ones that are older and different in that they draw more current (but actually are slighly faster) than the 512M/1G cousins!

Also supporting a CF up to 1G microdrive, but only to 256M CF flash card sounds fishy as well... CF is ATA, and it works with the larger capacity and not the smaller ones? May be they are talking about what their engineers have qualified the camera with and at the time the camera was designed, 256M CF flash were the largest then...but not valid anymore :?
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Are you sure about this?
NHL,
I ain't sure of anything. I'm just quoting what they told me. It sounds crazy to me too!
Old Mar 10, 2003, 5:41 PM   #10

Well, I just pulled out the CF in my E-20 and it's a SanDisk Ultra 512 and I've been using it quite nicely since October...

I hope what I'm doing is not impossible...if so, perhaps I should try a few more impossible things and see what happens (eg. use the P mode with the flash in a fast-action situation and plan on in-focus shots!).
Tonya Dale is offline   Reply With Quote