Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2002, 12:09 AM   #1

Default Any alternative to FL-40 that's TTL?

I've lusted (in my heart) for the FL-40 flash, but finances being what they are, is there an alternative flash to use with the E-20 that makes use of TTL that might be a little less expensive?

I'm an serious amateur of 20+ years of using Olympus film cameras and I'm making the change to digital. The greatest thing Olympus ever made use of was OTF (off the film) exposure and TTL (through the lens) metering of flash.

Joe
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2002, 12:44 AM   #2

I'm afraid the only TTL flash alternative to the FL-40 may actually be more expensive. Metz makes the 54MZ-3 and 70MZ-5 which are fully TTL compatible with Olympus digital cameras when used with the SCA-3202 Olympus adapter. I've heard there was another company offering a similar system that also claimed TTL compatibility with digital Olympus cameras, but can't recall their name right now, nor whether it was cheaper than the FL-40.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 9:18 AM   #3

Once again, Alberto, thanks,

Joe
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:33 AM   #4

Default Promaster 5750dx

Promaster makes the 5750dx and 5550dx ttl flashes and has 2 differenet modules for Olympus cameras one for hotshoe and one for the 5 pin adaptor.

Wolfes has it for 199.00

check out the details at

http://www.promaster.com/flashes.html
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:52 PM   #5

Joe,
I can't help you with alternatives to the FL-40, but I can tell you that the FL-40 is one fine flash unit, the best I've ever used. The illumination is VERY uniform, and the feedback to the camera gives consistently perfect exposures! I have not had a lot of experience with flash photography, and I've always had inconsistent results with previous equipment. This thing makes me look like a pro!
It is expensive, though. Don't blame you for looking for alternatives.
Bert
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 1:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Bigelow
...I can tell you that the FL-40 is one fine flash unit, the best I've ever used. The illumination is VERY uniform, and the feedback to the camera gives consistently perfect exposures!
Bert,

I just think I'll have to bite the bullet (and buy my wife some more roses, too).

Joe