Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2002, 3:37 PM   #1

Default Compactflash cards: comments and opinions, please

I'm about to buy some compactflash cards for my E-20, but...is there a difference in compactflash cards? My question focuses on the speed of the cards. Some companies (Lexar is one, I think) label their cards as something like 16X (sixteen times) the "normal" speed.

So, should I pay extra for such a card? Or would it be a waste of money if my camera can not perform to that level?

Your opinions and comments, please.

Joe

p.s. There is an article on cards in the reviews section, but after reading it, I'm still uncertain.
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2002, 2:13 PM   #2

The E-20, like the E-10, can only write to compactflash at about 600KB/s, those 16x or 24x cards will only achieve such speeds IF the camera they are used in can take advantage of that fact. So if you're planning to get a CF just for the E-20, I'd say don't waste your money on PRO CF's that can cost hundreds of dollars more than a highspeed one from say Kingston and Simple Technology among other brands. And you can also try microdrives, but I would suggest the highest rated batteries due to an increased power consumption. Perhaps Bert is better qualified to give you an opinion on microdrives as I've never used one on my E-10 If in the future you plan to get an even better camera, than you can opt to buy higher capacity and faster CF's accordingly. You should have plenty of experience by then!
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 10:45 PM   #3

Just found this link of a compactflash test using an E-20 and a C-5050:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-card.html

Maybe it can give you an idea of how some cards perform.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 11:07 PM   #4

Joe,
This thread is a little stale, but I'll add some comments in case you come back to check. I bought my E20 packaged with a 1GB IBM microdrive and 4 128MB SM cards. In the past, I have only used CF cards in my CP 950, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to use the SM cards. However, the IBM MD holds about 270 pix in SHQ mode, and the SM's only hold 33 each. The MD is a power hog, and somewhat vulnerable, I'm told to shocks and vibration. So...I didn't want to leave it in the cam. My solution, when I'm traveling, is to use the SM cards when I'm out in the field for the day, and then transfer the image files to the MD in the evening, and then clear the SM's for the next day's shooting. This strategy gives me a combined capacity of almost 500 pix. (I added 2 more 128 SM's for a total of six.)
The SM format is on the way out. The 128MB limit dooms it as camera resolutions continue to rise. However, there are advantages to using semi-obsolete technology. SM cards are getting really cheap, and will probably get even cheaper in the future as manufacturers and retailers try to dump their inventory. If you're willing to do a little bargain hunting, this could be a really cheap way to go.
Bert
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 3:07 PM   #5

Late post also.

Go with 256 Sandisk UltraFlash. This way, you can handle
some of the big files with room to spare. Dont put all eggs
in one basket (Microdrive).

Go with four of them.

You can pick them up for about $135 each if you search
the web.

If you have laptop, you can buy PC card to download them
to your laptop very quickly.

Two cents
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 4:18 PM   #6

Digicamfan,
I agree with you re the IBM MD. I got one as part of a package, with the cam, flash, battery pack, etc. I would probably not have bought it otherwise. It is handy as a "bulk" storage device for pix, although it does take five minutes or so to transfer a full 128MB SM card to the MD.
One-and-a-half-cents :lol:
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote