Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 30, 2005, 9:38 AM   #1

I was wondering, how good are the SCENE modes and Auto White Balance on the Olympus E-300 for someone new to DSLRs? I'm looking at getting the Olympus E-300 along with the Olympus FL-36 external flash and the Zuiko 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 lens for poeple pics in low-lit restaurants. Until I get good, I will mostly be using Full Auto and the SCENE modes.
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 2:22 PM   #2

agiaccio wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering, how good are the SCENE modes and Auto White Balance on the Olympus E-300 for someone new to DSLRs? I'm looking at getting the Olympus E-300 along with the Olympus FL-36 external flash and the Zuiko 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 lens for poeple pics in low-lit restaurants. Until I get good, I will mostly be using Full Auto and the SCENE modes.
I personally would avoid the auto setting entirely, since you have absolutely no idea of what the camera is doing. Again, the scene modes I haven't used, simply because they don't tell you what the camera is doing at all (in some cases they even select the compression and resolution).

At a minumum, start by setting the camera to P; set your desired ISO speed and quality (I'd stick with SHQ if you're a beginner; as you gain more experience, you may want to move to RAW since it gives you more latitude in development) by yourself. Use ISO 100 for daylight outdoors, and experiment with the other sensitivity settings of ISO 400 to 1600 for indoors. The noise at ISO 800 and above can be easily removed with Neatimage or Noise Ninja, or leave it in if that's the effect you're after (it has a film-like quality to it).
The 14-54 is a great lens, and is much easier to use than the 50mm macro; the latter has exceptional sharpness, but it's got a learning curve, since it's unforgiving in terms of camera shake and DOF.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote