Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:30 PM   #1

In my search for a Manual Focus camera, from a Olympus C-7000/C-70, I ended up deciding to get a DSLR camera.

The Olympus E-1 and the Olympus E-300.

Now what I need to know is which camera is better & what is the difference between them.

If anyone has used these camera's and can give me some feedback as to choose which one, and how much difference will the size of the sensors make in the photographs, I'll be really grateful.

In this website http://www.myfourthirds.com most of the pictures are taken with an Olympus E-1 camera, with excellent results.

In the Official Olympus Website, most of the Professional Photographers have used the Olympus E-1, and the results are amazing. I've heard somethingthat the sensor in the E-1 is better. Is the E-1 better than the E-300?I'm just beginning to learn photography, andit's my first time in using digital cameras.

Any help would be really appreciated.

McAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:47 AM   #2

I finally decided to get the Olympus E-300! :-)

I found this "Main Features and Differences between the E-300 And E-1"Table on the olympus website.

It helped me to decide. Posting the link here so that it may help others too.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/qa/products/e300/e300_001.cfm

Cheers! :bye:

McAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 7:22 PM   #3
Administrator

McAngel wrote:
Quote:
I've heard somethingthat the sensor in the E-1 is better. Is the E-1 better than the E-300?I'm just beginning to learn photography, andit's my first time in using digital cameras.
Kodak makes the sensors used in these models. The E-1 is a lower resolution sensor (which means the photosites for each pixel are larger with the E-1, since the physical size of the sensor is the same in both models). So,the E-1will probably have the lowest noise between the two models as ISO speeds are increased.

The E-1 also has weather sealing (it was designed for professional use). Hence, it does not have a built in flash (pro cameras with weather sealing usually don't).

I see you've already found a table comparing some of the features.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 9:19 AM   #4

I've been using the E1 since it was introduced in the UK. I've been using a 300as wellfor a couple of months.

As my uses tend to be based around mountains and mountaineering, I think the E1 is still the better camera, for me. It has a higher build quality, is better weatherproofed and the ergonomics/handling just feels better and easier in rapidly changing scenes.

OK, the 300 has a higher resolution, but I'd still trade the 300 for the E1 anyday.
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:53 AM   #5

When one considers that many dealers are selling the E300 without a memory card, whilst the E1 with one, and the price differential [eg Jessops] is about £300, for which you also get on the E1 a far better body, ergonomically and mechanically, the price difference isn't as great as people think. However, this does not address which is the better camera optically or sensor-wise. The sensor in the E-1 is a much more sophisticated beast to that in the E300, and dealers I have spoken to, all say that the E1 is much less prone to Chromatic abberations and unwanted artifacts than the E300.

To date, I have yet to see any magazine publish an E300 Vs E1 review, but then they have also been very lax in generating comparative reviews based on price, between Canon, Nikon, Minolta and Olympus cameras. Maybe the other manufacturers don't like the idea of comparing their 8Mp cameras to the 5.2Mp Olly ...

Maybe Slioch could do us all a really big favour and allow us to see a range of his/her images taken at the same time, on the same exposure settings and ASA ratings, on both cameras, and then post them as TIFFs or RAWs to those interested in seeing the results?

By the way, some may be asking, why NOT compressed JPEGs? Well, this is an image format which 'throws away' unwanted data as it is compressed, so you can't really use this to reconstruct the original image. As for the RAW file format, if you download RawShooter, that will enable you to view these images if you do not use an Olympus, and it can also be used on other RAW files too.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to see results off Olly's 7>14mm, as TIFFs or RAWs, by all means contact me and I will oblige! My only warning is that each file will be about 10Mb+!

The impression I get from seeing some E300 images, but not side by side to images taken at the same time on an E1, the E300 is not as good, but without images taken under the above circumstances, I'll reserve absolute judgement.
SamsSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:43 AM   #6

SamsSauce wrote:
Quote:
The sensor in the E-1 is a much more sophisticated beast to that in the E300, and dealers I have spoken to, all say that the E1 is much less prone to Chromatic abberations and unwanted artifacts than the E300."

To date, I have yet to see any magazine publish an E300 Vs E1 review, but then they have also been very lax in generating comparative reviews based on price, between Canon, Nikon, Minolta and Olympus cameras. Maybe the other manufacturers don't like the idea of comparing their 8Mp cameras to the 5.2Mp
In your first paragraph, is it the sensor that makes the difference, or the lenses? Could it be that if you put the E-300 kit lenses on the E-1, you'll have similar issues (especially the CA issue)?

As a comparison between the two models, Steve does list features of the two cameras and shows the two cameras side by side. To me that was more than enough info to make a comparison as my decision was on body, size, features and price.

Regarding the fact that the E-1 comes with a memory card, how big and how fast...I remember my C-700 came with a memory card that was a whole (gasp) USELESS 8 megs! Right after I had to buy the (highest capacity available) 128 meg card anyway so the included memory card was a waste! Just forget the included memory card and let me choose and buy my own (one more thing I liked about the E-300).

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:47 AM   #7

In addition to all the other good suggestions, consider well just what you're buying it for. The E-1 has better high-ISO performance (3200), and the sensor is better, even though it only has 5.1MP compared to the E-300's 8MP. For most non-cropped prints up to 11x16, the E-1 would probably win image-wize, given the same lenses. But there are other considerations as well. The E-300 has a more up-to-date memory handling, so it can make use of Sandisk Extreme III CF cards, which the E-1 can't do. The E-300 is lighter, and has a built-in flash, so it has more versatility in that sense. And yes, it's cheaper.
I bought the E-300 rather than the E-1 (1) to give me a bit more cropping leeway, (2) for the size (3) flash and (4) PRICE (I was on a pretty tight budget for the body since I wanted to get good lenses). I actually find myself using the built-in flash more than I thought I would. Although I usually have the FL-50 in my case with me, there are quite a few quick flash shots I take without wanting to drag out the FL-50.
Different strokes . . .

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote