Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:03 AM   #1

I've read on different posts that the Olympus Zuiko 50mm F2.0 Macro lens is a "difficult" lens to use on the Olympus E-300. What do people mean by difficult? Does this comment apply only to the Macro use?

Also, what would you suggest as a fast / bright prime lens for the E-300 to use in an art gallery / museum without flash?

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:37 PM   #2

I don't think its really difficult so much as its less forgiving and has asteeper learning curve to it compared to some of the other zoom lenses in order to acheive good results. Of cource this is just from word of mouth from other users and not from my own personal experience with the lens.... well not yet anyways. I can't decided between it and the 11-22mm asthe next lens on my to buy list... but im leaning towards the 11-22mm since I sometimes find the 14-54mm not quite wide enough for certain situations.... well and no way I can afford.... or at least justify the expence of the 7-14mm.

I just think that with the Oly50mm F2 you may need to spend alot more time with the lens compared to say the 14-45/14-54mm to get it right so to speak.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:54 AM   #3

agiaccio wrote:
Quote:
I've read on different posts that the Olympus Zuiko 50mm F2.0 Macro lens is a "difficult" lens to use on the Olympus E-300. What do people mean by difficult? Does this comment apply only to the Macro use?
Also, what would you suggest as a fast / bright prime lens for the E-300 to use in an art gallery / museum without flash?
Tkmckay is right; It is difficult, but only because it is a perfectionist. It is designed to produce extremely sharp images with beautiful bokeh at close distances, so DOF is critical. After coming from a C-755 with relatively deep DOF, I found that shooting with the 50mm 2.0 was difficult precisely for that reason, and after several false starts ended up taking test photos with a ruler at various distances and f-stops to get a better idea of where the DOF lay. I would think it would be a good lens inside museums for some purposes, but getting your settings right is critical when shooting a painting or other flat plane, since it won't give you much leeway at f2.0. Of course, DOF increases anyway with distance from subject, so if you're shooting from some distance away it's less critical than with macro applications. FWIW, Olympus is bring out a 100mm macro later this year.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote