Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:14 AM   #1

Has anyone else experienced poor performance using the RM-1 infrared remote for the Oly e10?

Not only are they fickle when they operate...but I've had to replace my remote three times in the past three years (no, its not the battery - I've replaced batteries several times as well).

And I've always been puzzled why the RM-1 has wide and telephoto function buttons as well as + and - buttons...none of which seem to function on the e10.

I can unlock my truck with my remote from over 100 yards, but can't get the RM-1 to trigger the shutter from more than 15-20 feet. Was the IR remote an after-thought on the part of Olympus?

Anyone else have issues with this?

S.K.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2005, 7:15 AM   #2

Since no one has answered this:

Olympus has been using IR remotes for years, even on film cameras. With IR it's easier to get it out to market...you don't have to go through FCC certification that you would for an RF remote (car companies can afford it since it's $30,000 cars vs. $1000 camera).

The remote's manual describes its limits for range and angle. Also, the RM-1 remote covers many cameras...your camera has a manual (not motor driven) zoom...on cameras like the C-750 with a motor zoom, the T & W would adjust that. HOWEVER, the T & W buttons, as well as the + & - buttons should operate E-10 while the camera is in playback mode...plugged into a TV the camera could operate like a wireless slide projector with zoom control.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:09 PM   #3

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Since no one has answered this:

Olympus has been using IR remotes for years, even on film cameras.* With IR it's easier to get it out to market...you don't have to go through FCC certification that you would for an RF remote (car companies can afford it since it's $30,000 cars vs. $1000 camera).

The remote's manual describes its limits for range and angle.* Also, the RM-1 remote covers many cameras...your camera has a manual (not motor driven) zoom...on cameras like the C-750 with a motor zoom, the T & W would adjust that.* HOWEVER, the T & W buttons, as well as the + & - buttons should operate E-10 while the camera is in playback mode...plugged into a TV the camera could operate like a wireless slide projector with zoom control.
Mike, thanks for the helpful feedback.

One minor correction - as far as I'm aware the e10 does have a motor-assisted zoom, though.

I'll have to check out the T & W functions on playback...I originally thought they pertained to shooting. Thanks.

I'm starting to think the source of my problems with the remote is humidity. Both times the remote failed was while I was shooting in conditions with very high humidity (the last time was in foggy hydro tunnels below Niagara Falls with water dripping everywhere).

Appreciate you taking the time to pass along some input :-)

S.K.

BTW - noticed you're from Toronna...g`day to a fellow canuck.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote