Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2005, 7:04 AM   #11

The "budget" line of lenses does not include a distance scale, so if you're using one of those, you should do some testing during daylight hours and find out where infinity focus is, and maybe even make a mark on the barrel of your lens to remind yourself. Due to the way these lenses focus, it is possible to go past infinity on manual focus, in which case you'll be out of focus again.
With the 14-54 and others in the mid-range and up lenses, a distance scale is provided on the lens, but once again, some prior testing is in order to assure yourself that the infinity mark actually marks true infinity.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 9:23 PM   #12

For those that do not know me, let me tell you that I am not without a bit of experience. I have been a professional photographer for almost 55 years.

I just received my new E-300, purchased on Ebay at a very good price. However, I have already discovered that the E-300 is VERY subject to camera movement. Yes, I threw it on a tripod and that cured the problem, right away, but new users should beware.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:58 PM   #13

"Speaklightly", just a tip that you shouldn't use your real name in forums. The fact that both your name and your city (not to mention your likeness) are all displayed can make you an easy target. I've known people who have argued in forums and have been tracked down, harassed and threatened.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:32 AM   #14

FAO Speaklightly:

I just read your post about the E 300 and camera movement. I recently bought one and I noticed more shake than normal on my first set ofphotos. I was concerned that I had recentlydeveloped a tremor in my hands. I was relieved to read your post. Can you explain why the E 300 is more susceptible to movement?
aidogael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:45 PM   #15

My E300 works just fine, no focus problems whatsoever. I think it's operator error or the camera is defective.
tx2654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:43 PM   #16

It sounds like a similar problem I had with my first E-300. It wouldn't focus after about 200 photos. I returned the camera for a full refund. I have since bought another E-300 and have had no simliar problem (knock on wood). Take it back and get a new one.

Take Care,

Ed
lenseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:35 PM   #17

E-300 for almost 2 years, just had auto focus problem - lens would not move when button depressed. Three calls to Olympus support could not resolve - said to mail them. I tried your suggestion and it solved the problem. When turning the lens, do not hold the button in (just enough to get rotation started) then put lens back on the body so it clicks.
OLYPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:04 AM   #18

Just noticed this one:

Can you explain why the E 300 is more susceptible to movement?

It most certainly is not. No focussing problems here, except in low light as is to be expected. I hardly ever use a tripod and then only for night photo and have for example used the 40-150mm zoom handheld at 81mm on 1/20.

This said, I do get shaken photos if I am sloppy.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 9:44 AM   #19

just to add
sometimes the contacts between the lens and he body need cleaning too
use an isopropyl alcohol

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 1:35 PM   #20

Quote:
sometimes the contacts between the lens and he body need cleaning too use an isopropyl alcohol
Most of the issues with contacts is due to user error, turning the lens too far (by holding in the lens release button while putting on lens) or accidently pressing the lens release button while shooting.

With my FOUR lenses (as well as the EX-25), if there was a dirty contact issue it would have shown up a long time ago with all the lens changes I make.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote