Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2005, 4:15 PM   #1

Hi Everyone, just bough a Oly E300, but having real problems with the focus when taking pics.

To start I thought it would be best to set evry setting to auto, incl the scene setting- set to "P"

When I look thru the viewfinder and adjust the lens to photograph the subject, I then press downthe photo button to halfway....at this point I am expecting the camera to auto focus (should I see the subject become clearer in the lens??), Nothing happens to the lens so I have to adjust the lens out so that the subject is further away.

If I turn the outer focus ring, nothing happens...is this ok?

Even then when I take the pic, the picture comes out blurred.

If I try and photograph anything with text on it...it is impossible to read!

I'm finding it almost impossible to get a clear photo out of the camera

Can anyone advise or help me...I am getting desparate to produce something decent after all the money I have spent.

Thanks In Advance
leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:01 AM   #2

When you half press the shutter button you should hear and feel the lens mechanism operating and the object goes sharp in the view finder. I would make sure the lens is latched and "clicks" in position and check the contacts to see if they are corroded,dirty etc.. Also, make sure that the battery is fully charged. Go to the back of the manual for the trouble shooting procedures. If you can't get it to focus,call Olympus or take it back for another one.That's the things that I would do.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:51 AM   #3

1. Release lens
2. Check connector of both lens and body. If dirty, clean with proper cleaner.
3. Reattach the lens. Be sure to hear "click" when you attach the lens.
4. Check apperture indicator. If no apperture value appeared, you have attached your lens improperly. Back to no. 1.
5. If you use eyeglasses, release your glasses, set camera diopter that suitable for your eyes.

Cheers

Sorry for my bad English
zoegy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 7:57 AM   #4

Also, check your focus mode (push the AF button). For the manual focus to be active, it has to be enabled; either by S-AF+MF (single auto focus + manual focus), or MF (manual focus).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:17 PM   #5

you're too close to the subject for the lens you have on the camera... try backing off until you get it to focus... also check minimum focus length on the lens spec... most likely nothing happens when you turn the focus ring because the camera is on autofocus... change to manual to test it... if you're trying to photo text you're very likely way too close to focus the lenses that come with the camera (by the way there is a "text" scene mode to help)

for the standard 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 lens - Closest Focusing Distance:0.38m or about 18 inches

for the 40-150mm f3.5-4.5 lens the Closest Focusing Distance:1.5m or 4.5 feet
LeeBuhrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 9:35 PM   #6

Hearing more and more complaints on this problem, I decided to do my own research (since I own an E-300):

Most of the times I've heard of this problem, people installed the lenses onto the camera while holding in the lens release button. The lens can actually be turned beyond the lock point and there's no electrical contact, turning it back a bit without pressing the button locks the lens and engages the contacts. The locking pin HAS to be engaged because it is one of the electrical contacts...if not the lens won't work.

Personally, I NEVER push the release button while installing lenses. Even in removing a lens, I'll only hold down the button long enough while turning to unlock the lens, and then reposition my hand so I have a better grip on the camera body.

Of course with lens adapters with electrical contacts (like tele and macro converters) you have to make sure BOTH locking pins, the one on the camera body and the one on the adapter, are properly engaged.
In the time I've owned my E-300, I've changed the lens many times (I own three lenses), I have yet to have the problem (except in my experimentation where I caused the problem on purpose).

Mike
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:19 AM   #7

Hi.

Focus problem on the E-300. I've noticed this too.

The reason is that the focus motor is inside the lenses and if your battery is down then although there is sufficient power to energise the control panel, there isn't enough to run the motor, so no auto-focus. You should be getting a warning light in the viewfinder to alert you to this.

Solution - second battery!!

Parkwood
parkwoodmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:24 PM   #8

How about focusing in low light? Often times I take photos at night, sometimes in very very low light situations. Back when I had my P&S camera, it would just focus and I'd let the shutter stay open for the 15 seconds it could. With the E-300, I'm finding that, eventhough the AF illiuminator activates, the camera still has a hard time focusing. I'm mostly taking pictures of trees or decent cars that people have parked or sometimes small bodies of water. Would something like a laser pointer help if I got one that projected shapes?
MOG_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:42 PM   #9

MOG_22 wrote:
Quote:
How about focusing in low light? Often times I take photos at night, sometimes in very very low light situations. Back when I had my P&S camera, it would just focus and I'd let the shutter stay open for the 15 seconds it could. With the E-300, I'm finding that, eventhough the AF illiuminator activates, the camera still has a hard time focusing. I'm mostly taking pictures of trees or decent cars that people have parked or sometimes small bodies of water. Would something like a laser pointer help if I got one that projected shapes?
The only way to tell for sure is by trying one (laser pointer). Some might be bright enough to work, some not. In my own case, I use manual focus under such conditions. The built-in flash assisted AF only works on short distances out to where the flash can reach, which isn't too far. When using the FL-50, on the other hand, its built-in AF assist lamp is much more effective at longer distances, but it's still limited; once again, manual focus if all else fails.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:18 AM   #10

This may be a silly question, but is there a simple way to tell that something is in focus when in a dark area? Say I'm taking pictures of landscape, like a lake at nigiht, I look through the viewfinder and it's difficult to see. Is there a setting on the camera for infinite focus, or perhaps turning the focus ring all the way in one direction will allow the landscape to be in focus? I know, nighttime photography is difficult.
MOG_22 is offline   Reply With Quote