Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:52 PM   #1

I ordered an e300 from dell last night for 539 plus shipping. This is the single lense version. Anyway, i have had a 8080 in my hands for a week and im SO STOKED about getting my first slr for the price i paid. Just wanted to share the news.

BTW, i have no idea what I am doing. I have been able to make some good shots of my car and family in the past but most of my stuff is just average. After i learn the ins and outs of the camera I will want to start learning about compositions etc. I will probably take the 8080 back to walmart but its a shame since i just picked it up for 5 even.
espressogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:57 AM   #2

Don't be disappointed at first. There is a learning curve. Sign on to <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022>, since it seems to have the greatest single concentration of E-system users of any board. Also, if you haven't yet, be sure to update your firmware to vers. 1.3 before you do anything else. It makes a great difference in WB, and exposure accuracy. Don't delay. The 14-45 lens will take great pictures, better than the kit lenses on most other entry-level dSLRs. Have fun!

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 1:20 PM   #3

Yes, upgrade the firmware.... I got my E-300 August 1, and thought since it was new, it would have recent firmware....WRONG.... it was at 1.0, so I very easily followed the instructions on the Olympus web site to upgrade from within Olympus Master to version 1.3....also checked the firmware in each lens (one at a time of course), and upgraded Olympus Master to ver 1.3 while I was at it..... very easy process.... kudos to Olympus for a fine product and an easy process for upgrading camera, lenses, and Olympus Master.....
HornOUBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 4:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I upgraded the firmware last night to 1.3. Mine to was shipped as 1.0. I did have a hard time getting my xp sp2 machine to talk to teh camrea. I finally gave up and downloaded the studio software for os x. It worked flawlessly.
espressogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:17 AM   #5

Quote:
I ordered an e300 from dell last night for 539 plus shipping.
how did you get it so cheap? When I go to the www.dell.com this price is $699.
E300USER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:40 PM   #6

There's currently 2 cupon codes for 20% off, and another $60 off ... check the usual bargin sites (slickdeals, fatwallet, etc).

fwiw, I *finally* jumped on the 2 lens kit after having Dell offer it the past 2-3 times. Ordered Thru, Shipped Fri, should be here tomorrow! :-)
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:42 AM   #7

Hi.

I hope you enjoy your E-300 as much as I enjoy mine. It's so good to see pix which exceed the capabilities of the chemical camera equivalent.

I have the privilage of doing a post graduate degree at an English University in Digital Photography and Imaging which brings me into contact with a whole range of top academics in this field. And I come to it after earning my living with a camera for the past 42 years (mostly chemical). It was quite a committment to set aside the 24x36 kit in favour of the 4/3 but I'm glad I did so. Quality is outstanding.

As far as learning a bit more about composition, lighting, techniques etc. you could make a good start at Olympus's on line photo school at http://olympusdigitalschool.com/phot...ons/index.html

They also run master classes in some areas where you can go and meet others doing the same thing and receive 1:1 support.

Good luck and good choice

Parkwood
parkwoodmm is offline   Reply With Quote