Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:38 PM   #11

Well, as far as I can see there is 2 small improvements - Bigger display and 2 slots,

but why not 2 CF slots ? , who use Xd cards for 14 Mb files ???.

More attention to the new lenses, looking good, but also a lot of money.

At the end, 300 or 500, no big differens, but still no price.

Joe
joe hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:21 PM   #12

It mentioned that the body would be very light...it gave the weight but I do not recall...is it trying to compete with the small and light Pentax istDS2???
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:49 AM   #13

Norm,

It's certainly plausible to assume from the interview with Mr Terada that the replacement for the E-1 may have image stabilization as well as the Supersonic Wave filter for dust reduction. Here's hoping that's the case.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:51 AM   #14

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
Norm,

It's certainly plausible to assume from the interview with Mr Terada that the replacement for the E-1 may have image stabilization as well as the Supersonic Wave filter for dust reduction. Here's hoping that's the case.
Yes, where there's life, there's hope. Lots of rumours floating around, but we won't know until we know. I'd also like to see a new 4/3 body from Panasonic, since they're members of the coalition.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:26 AM   #15

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
They've gone back to the conventional prism finder
Actually, it's not a prism finder or pentaprism...it's a "penta-type mirror" setup (according to previously posted specs).

As for the xD issue, the put in an xD slot so they may possibly sell some more xD cards since it's an OlyFuji product.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:02 AM   #16

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
Well, the E500 really exists, as everyone thought it might...the spec sheet says it has a plastic body...hey, ploycarbonate is quite a tough plastic, maybe tougher than some metals

The real question: specifically, what and how much is this an improvement over the E300?...giant steps or baby steps???

It has fiber reinforced polycarbonate and fortunately, not all plastic. E500 has metal subframe.This is the pic from Japanese website (http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp)

Attached Images

zoegy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:16 PM   #17

So, for all those who were afraid it was an all plastic camera, this should tone down the complaints, yes???
Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:04 PM   #18

Just the body re-styling is enough for me. I'm selling my Canon stuff right now & buying an E-1 outfit due to the low prices on that body and will be getting an E-500 as a backup/second camera shortly after it hits the store.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:09 PM   #19

While I know it is not polite to refer to another site on Steve's excellent site, it may interest you that dpreview.com has posted a preview of the E-500 and just today posted 20 sample photos...

As an amateur, and not a pro, those photos look crystal clear to me...but I am sure some of you "better folks" will find flaws in the photos...

Almost makes me want a Fuji S9000 AND an E500, "just in case"...

Note to self...win Lotto this weekend...:-):-):-):-)

P.S. I always check Steve's site first for news and reviews, and then sometimes hop over to dpreview, as it is a decent 2nd place for info...
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:34 PM   #20
rey

My local Best Buy has this (E-500) in stock. I checked it out yesterday. They sell the it for $856. The 2.5 inch LCD will catch your eyes! But I think the viewfinder looks really small.

Anyways, I'm still undecided on what to buy. My local Costco started selling Nikon D50 kit for $770. This is odd since their website doesn't even sell them. I think I'll get that for now and try it out for a couple of months. I'm new to dSLR so a couple of months with it should tell me if I want to keep it or get a D70s or Rebel XT or 20D. Also maybe by then they'd drop E-300 and start selling E-500's...

rey is offline   Reply With Quote