Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:07 AM   #1

Does someone know more of this, the new E-500 price Etc.

http://www2.olympus.dk/consumer/6739...ifications.htm

Regards Joe
joe hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:19 PM   #2

If anything, here's hoping it's not a spoof! fwiw over at dpreview there was a discussion about E-500 photo from a HK user group, which have since been pulled.
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:20 PM   #3

Joe, can I ask you this: where/how did you find the URL to that page?

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:29 PM   #4

Well, I can't really remember it, think it was an google entry -

I Asked Olympus ( Europe ) about a price, they say that don't

know anything about an e-500 model !!!!!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:29 PM   #5

joe hansen wrote:
Quote:
Well, I can't really remember it, think it was an google entry -

I Asked Olympus ( Europe ) about a price, they say that don't

know anything about an e-500 model !!!!!
Apparently, that page (and a similar one on the Olympus sites in Sweden, Netherlands, and UK) were prototype pages not meant for public disclosure yet, and were found by a search bot (my guess). They've been taken down now. If you still want to see it, drop me a message (email address is on my website; see my profile).

Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:05 PM   #6

I managed to stumble across the link before it was shut down and grabbed screen captures of almost all of the information.

click on the small pics for a full sized (1280x1024) screen capture of all the pages:

Main page:

Details tab:

Specs tab:

Kits:

And something unfortunately that I did not get a chance to grap the screen shots for other than the main page was the up coming lenses from Olympus:

The E-500 looks to be an interesting camera and looks almost exactly like the E-1 in design although by the sizing/dementions its going to be a little bit smaller.... almost 350D in size. Whats interesting to look at is how it compares to the E-300 in specs. Most of the specs aren't all that vastly different which would suggest to me that maybe the E-500 maybe possitioned below the E-300. Perhaps the SE kit because it doesn't include a li-Ion battery or charger might be marketed as the first DSLR kit under the $500usd mark?:?

I believe one of the pages says it should become available in October 2005 so I would except reviews to become available very soon on the camera. Chances are Steve already has one in his hands.

Whats interesting to see is the three new lenses on the lens page:

-17.5-45mm (35-90 effectively)F3.5-5.6

-18-180mm (36-360 effectively) F3.5-6.3

-35mm F3.5 1:1 Macro

This 35mm Macro really interests me as its a true 1:1 (2:1 effectively) macro compared to the 1:2 (1:1 effectively) 50mm F2. Also being an F3.5 hopefully it will be a little less pricy compared to the 50mm F2.:-)
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:39 PM   #7

Hallo and thnks, but i have a nearly full copy - Seems that it's the same chip, same

features allmost, but bigger LCD, support for both CF and Xd cards. small weight,

indicates that it will be a cheap camera ?? ( Very cheap ) - It will come in the same kits as the e300.

Regards Joe

Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:06 AM   #8

It's official now.

But is Steve right about the aluminium chassis? :?
I thought it had a plastic body.

Is there any way to contact Steve to sort this out?
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:59 AM   #9

Well, the E500 really exists, as everyone thought it might...the spec sheet says it has a plastic body...hey, ploycarbonate is quite a tough plastic, maybe tougher than some metals

The real question: specifically, what and how much is this an improvement over the E300?...giant steps or baby steps???
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:23 PM   #10

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
The real question: specifically, what and how much is this an improvement over the E300?...giant steps or baby steps???
IMPO, "baby steps." They've gone back to the conventional prism finder since they discovered that not enough people were smitten with the "brick" (e-300). They've probably incorporated the e-300's firmware improvements and some other minor goodies in new circuitry, but not a great advance. They're basically trying to recapture some of the new-family, female market that Canon aimed their Digital Kiss N (350) at. The big changes will have to await the replacement for the E-1, which probably won't appear until next spring. Even so, I have no problem loving my e-300 :?

In the FWIW department, you might take a look at this interview with the e-500 designer:
http://www.webpersonal.net/fotoimage...ympuse500e.htm