Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:22 PM   #1

Default The fl-40 on the e-20

I am considering to buy an e-20. My question is.

Does the FL-40 have a focus assist lamp?

Does it work on the E-20?

Does it help with the low light focus issues I read about?

Are these low light issue more a camera issue or user issue?

turp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2003, 11:18 PM   #2

I think the FL-40 has an assist lamp but it only works with the C-2500. Both E-10 and E-20 rely on a hybrid IR/ccd contrast detection to find focus. As with any camera, focusing in low light becomes increasingly difficult, and the Exx cameras aren't perfect - what camera is? Perhaps if you brought along a flashlight and illuminated your target before focusing :P Or maybe if we all had one of these built into our cameras:
http://tnknet.com/ringlight.html

For $150 I could build another one of those
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 11:18 PM   #3

I just went through the FL-40 manual, and the only place the AF illumninator is mentioned is in the specifications. It says it only works with cameras with "communications capability" which the E10/E20 have. However, as Alberto says, the E10/E20 use an infrared low-light focusing system which (as he also says) does not always work perfectly. I did not even know about the AF illuminator! However, I always use the red-eye elimination which emits a series of ten short flashes before the exposure. I wonder if these are used by the AF system.
Sorry...more questions than answers...
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:50 AM   #4

Bert, actually those pre-flashes are meat to make your pupils shrink so when the main flash goes the red-eye syndrome is reduced or gone completely. But many people find that annoying because they aren't sure whether the shot has been taken or not, and often blink during the shot. I don't know why Olympus didn't make use of the FL-40's illuminator, as I think it would help the E-10/20 to focus in low light, where the use of a flash would be required. I too am not sure if the FL-40's illuminator is a red light illuminator or an infrared one.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:53 AM   #5

Alberto,
Yeah, I knew that the flashes were to contract the pupils, but I wondered if Olympus was clever enough to use them for AF also. My guess is, probably not. I love the FL-40...I use it with the on-camera flash, mainly for bounce with the diffuser on, and I get nice soft, even illumination. However, about one picture in six is out of focus...a throwaway. And yes, I catch a lot of people blinking, but I've had that problem with every flash I've ever used. I don't do that much flash work, and I've usually been disappointed with the results...washed out faces full of squinty eyes. The FL-40 is the best I've ever used, though.
I don't know how the AF illuminator works either. The FL-40 manual says nothing about it at all, except in the specifications.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote