Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1

I like the camera control from pc idea but at least from my demo version you don't get to preview before shooting which kind of defeats the concept... otherwise it seems even weaker in editing than the olympus master software...

so what should a not so pro invest in short of putting down hundreds for photoshop?
LeeBuhrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:18 AM   #2

Due to the nature of dSLR cameras (i.e. the mirror), you can't preview the picture BEFORE you take it, either through the LCD, TV, or computer.

As the name implies, this software is more for studio use, the main ability being able to download directly from the camera after the picture is taken; although with the E-300 this isn't the nicest setup due to the fact that Oly was cheap and only has USB 1.1 with the E-300 so it's SLOW.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanks... I have tried the Demo version and actually haven't had troubles with downloading speeds... I can't think of any situations when I'd need it any faster. But since downloading is something just about any software out there iincluding winXP does relatively well I was wondering if 120 bucks would be better spent on something else...
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:44 AM   #4

LeeBuhrul wrote:
Quote:
Thanks... I have tried the Demo version and actually haven't had troubles with downloading speeds... I can't think of any situations when I'd need it any faster. But since downloading is something just about any software out there iincluding winXP does relatively well I was wondering if 120 bucks would be better spent on something else...
That all depends on what you're planning on doing with it (the software--or alternately the 120 bucks :G). If you're looking for a RAW converter, then many people like the colors produced by Studio, but I personally prefer Silkypix--it's almost like a one-stop off-the-shelf post-processing lab--but then you're talking about $150 instead of $120.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:43 PM   #5

mmm silkypix... just the name's gotta be worth the extra $30 bucks :evil:
Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:52 AM   #6

LeeBuhrul wrote:
Quote:
mmm silkypix... just the name's gotta be worth the extra $30 bucks :evil:
I dunno about that, but it is really quite a good program. --once you get past the non-native translated Engrish.:?

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote